Wednesday 17 February 2016

The 2016 Grammys - My Fashion Review


What is described as the biggest night in music, is also one of the biggest nights in fashion. We get to see our favourite stars of music and screen combine to celebrate the songs that have been littering our airwaves. I always look forward to the Grammy's red carpet because it is supposed to be the time when we see our faves show off - whether it be a crazy look or basically a 'look at how much money I have' look. This year though (much like last year) I was disappointed. It was boring to say the least. However as I do, I have picked some of the looks that caught my eye and I am here to judge them. Small disclaimer - I am not judging the individual, just simply their choice of outfit. Let's go ...

Kacey Musgraves wearing Armani Prive
One can be naive in assuming a country star wouldn't show up looking so stunning, how wrong you narrowed people are. She is living proof that just because she sings about trailers and dime stores doesn't mean she can't turn heads for all the right reasons. When looking at fashion for the Grammys I don't have a checklist as such, I just want to be excited - she did that. The violet and blue hues look rich and sumptuous and the texture is really interesting. It is fitted to perfection and hits the floor just right. I actually like the hairstyle but you know what I am not afraid for it to of been bigger.

Zendaya wearing DSquared2
This girl knows to rock a red carpet, she isn't afraid of bold fashion choices and she is one star I always look out for. At age 19 she is incredibly self aware. She knows what looks good and she makes no apologies if you don't understand it. First thing first let us talk about the hair - she has made mullets cool again, I don't know for how long, but this small space in time I am one call away from my barber. I love a woman in a suit, there is something so sexy and cool about it, she shows strength mixed with femininity - and it is tailored to perfection. I personally can't wait to see what she wears for the Oscars (especially after last years hoohaa).

Ellie Goulding wearing Stella McCartney
This just looks so effortless and cool, but I can imagine it was anything but that. Her tousled hair is a great juxtaposition to the streamline cut of the dress. This could've easily looked like a pink sack but it is cut and shaped to her amazing body just right. I really enjoy the mix and match-ness of the jewellry as well, it just emphasizes her passiveness when it comes to what a fashion critic may say. It all works for me, she has never looked more beautiful in my eyes.

Demi Lovato wearing Norisol Ferrari
Demi I love her, she is my number one. But what is this? She looks so much older than she is, she is singing about having confidence and yet this looks like she has none at all. I don't want to be nasty because I truly love this woman, I like elements of this outfit. I appreciate the body jewellery, that is a nice surprise. Plus the hair looks amazing - I have missed the long hair Demi! She just overall looks a bit meh! This is the Grammy's, we all know she has it in her to stun us - maybe if this dress was sleeveless or something - I don't know, she has done better before. For one second though let's step away from fashion - how fucking amazing was she during the Lionel Richie tribute???!!! Best vocal of the night.

Adele wearing Givenchy Haute Couture by Riccardo Tisci
I don't know. Does she look beautiful? Yes. Is it a well fitted dress? Yes. Does her body look slammin? Yes. Is her new bob beautiful? Yes. It is so boring though!! I don't really like the where the skirt starts on this dress, it looks a bit full right on the stomach. Of course she is wearing black, I feel her because black is also my favourite colour of clothing too. Those little slits on the shoulders do nothing for the dress, looks like an afterthought - it doesn't add anything or take anything away, they are just there. I want Adele to have her big fashion moment, and I am getting impatient. Her performance, regardless of the technical issues, was just beautiful though.

Ciara wearing Alexandre Vauthier 
Yes! Yes! Yes! This is what I want, a fashion risk! This could have bombed tremendously or become a moment. I think it was a moment! With a body like hers, that it is obvious she works hard for, she should show it off. It is sculptured by the gods. My favourite part of this whole look though is the hair, it is styled beautifully. It is simply just a low pony with a few strands pulled out - gorgeous. The makeup was tastefully done because let's face it, the star of this look is the dress. The slit right up in there, the body suit, the low cut front - tick tick tick, she won. If I had to be picky, and I have been accused of being picky in the past, is that I don't love the print. Who cares though, she isn't gonna lose any sleep over my opinions.

Selena Gomez wearing Calvin Klein
Stunning girl, beautiful, talented but I am bored with this look. There was no umph - was she trying to let Taylor have the moment? I don't know. There is no obvious wow factor. I think she needs to dress to resemble how special she is. There isn't a lot more for me to say really. I love this girl and I want her to reach new fashion levels.

Janelle Monae wearing Jean Paul Gaultier
Girls find a seat, sit down, take out your note book and get a pen that works. This is an education in how to do the Grammys! I am not saying to copy her look, copy her bravery. Stand out from the crowd without looking like a fool, know what colours suit you and push boundaries! Janelle I salute you, you never fail to please me on the red carpets of the world. This look is slightly cookie compared to previous looks so some people may give a slight side eye when she walks by, but nethertheless you're looking at her! She is art.

Taylor Swift wearing Versace 
I have been a Swifty since 'Tim McGraw' and 'Teardrops on my Guitar', I was pushing for people to listen to her in this country before they even knew what a Taylor Swift was. I was, and still am, a huge fan! I have followed her career for close to ten years now. I just had to say that so people know that I am coming from a place of love. I hate this look. I really don't get it. It cheapens her so much, I can appreciate the simplicity of the outfit. I don't like the colours, they are so jarring. I was so disappointed and I really don't ever want to be with her because I never have been. She is a phenomenal performer and songwriter, she has inspired me and millions others. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come - LET ME STYLE YOU TAYLOR! If I can be a bit sketchy for a second though - her body is banging!

No comments:

Post a Comment