Thursday 28 January 2016

Stressed out, Stone Cold but Here - What I am currently listening to


I know, I know you have all been asking 'what the frick is Craig listening to lately?!'. Well despair no more as I am here to share would could possibly the best music taste of all time (I may be biased). Also you may be shocked there is no country music on my list this time, I haven't turned my back on my southern cousins it's just a lot more has caught my attention lately. So, let us get this underway.

Twenty One Pilots - Stressed Out


Twenty One Pilots have been on my radar for a long time now, not that I would choose to listen to them but I was aware that they were there. Their cover of the Elvis classic 'Can't Help Falling In Love' really perked my ears up. The singer's (Tyler Joseph) voice is so so so good, it has a strained quality that I really like. However, back to this song. I don't honestly know what is that I like about it, it isn't like anything else on my playlist. I think I really respond to the lyrics and anyone that feels out of pace with life. I really love the lyric 'Used to dream of outer space but now they're laughing at our face, Saying, "Wake up, you need to make money."' It really resonates with me because right now I am wising up to the fact that we may not be able to pursue what we love, we just need to make those pennies and pounds. 

Selena Gomez - Hands To Myself


I have been a fan of Selena since back in the Wizard days, I have also enjoyed a lot of her music. She has truly matured hasn't she? Especially with this new album. One thing I love about the new album is that it seems Selena has finally realised her vocal limits. So instead of pushing out notes; we have now got a more mellow, low tempo vibe. 'Hands To Myself' might just be my favourite songs on the album. We start off with a slow shoulder roll beat and finish on a full body shimmy. I absolutely love the bit where she sings 'I mean I could but why would I want to', I will sit and wait for it and try my best every-damn-time to Drag Race style mime to it. Instead of the video, I have posted a live performance of it. I think this shows Selena's personality a lot more because she is just having fun with it. I highly recommend you watch the official video though - for the guy alone if nothing else.

Alessa Cara - Here


I am obsessed with this song. It perfectly describes my thoughts when entering a party (that is until the Jacky D kicks in). For 19, her songwriting skills are impressive. I don't really know what to say about this song. Just give it a listen and you will see what I am talking about. She really knows how to write for someone with social anxiety. Without sounding simple, I am really impressed with the mature language she uses in this song, and the way she packs it in. This song is heavy with lyrics and I hope one day to be able to conquer them all. So far I have the first two lines down (three if you count that weird male vocal at the beginning). 

Demi Lovato - Stone Cold


I don't think there is a single song she has released that I haven't been taken to higher place whilst playing. You know how Oprah has her love for Tina Turner - like Tina is her number one, I think Demi might be mine. I just realised this whilst typing. Feels good to finally admit this to myself. I can listen to all of Demi's albums and rarely have to skip a single song. Her voice kills me (or as the kids might say - slays). I have put up a live version of my fave Demi song right now, lay some cushions on the floor when before you listen to it, it will knock you out. 'Stone Cold' is about trying to be happy for a lost love who is moving on, we have all had some degree of that. Her gut wrenching vocals emphasize the pain of that, the quiet moments resemble the moments of quiet reflection someone would have when dealing with loss. I may be babbling now, I just adore this song.

Ariana Grande - Zero To Hero


Okay, stay with me. There wasn't a single kid who didn't love the Muses in 'Hercules'. Their gospel style singing of Hercules' trials were special - a light hearted break from the drama of the movie. So, when I heard that Disney were releasing an album of covers by today's artists I was intrigued. Then I saw that Ariana was singing 'Zero To Hero' - one of the best Disney songs of all time - I had to give it a listen. Boy am I glad I did. It is beautiful, fun and makes me want to be better person. Okay maybe scratch that last bit, but this song is special and Ariana's voice is undeniably special - combine the two and we got a whole lot of special. Sit back, plug those earphones in if you don't want anyone else to hear and judge you, and just enjoy this Disney magic. And maybe, just maybe one day I can find my fellow four Muses and travel the world enlightening the youth of today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment