Wednesday 22 October 2014

Stop Plastic Surgery Shaming!


So Renée Zellweger has made all the headlines today as she was photographed looking slightly different than the Bridget Jones we have come to know and love (I still laugh out loud every time at that point in the film when she is in the hotel foyer after her head scarf flew off in the open top car). Yes, her face did look different, but who cares? Apparently everyone should care, magazine and blogs have had professional plastic surgeons commenting on what she could have had done, before and after pictures flood my Facebook wall and Twitter feed and even some news channels have picked up the story. However, I ask you 'Why do you care?'. I mean who is she hurting, how will this affect anyone's life and what the hell does it have to do with you?

For years and years we have picked apart anyone who has dared to go under the knife to improve their appearance, whether it to fight the signs of ageing or to change the shape and size of certain features. In my own opinion I have always thought that if it's your body then do what the hell you want with it. We all have things that we would change about ourselves, go ahead and ask even the most secure friend on your contact list and I bet my life savings that they would change something. We live in a world where everything still isn't enough. We all want more than what we have, not selfishly - it's human nature.

I for one stand up and applaud anyone that had the balls to go and change something about themselves that they weren't happy with. If I had unlimited funds I would literally have a never ending list of surgeries I require, I am only 26 and that list will multiply with every birthday. Yet we can't understand when someone in the public eye does something about their insecurities. Heidi Montag (of The Hills fame) famously had multiple surgeries in one day to fix everything she wasn't happy with, and all we did was laugh, scoff and insult. You really think she needed to hear that? Some of those surgeries are irreversible, she is stuck with them - but we didn't care, instead we chose to mock. I thought she was beautiful before and beautiful after, she didn't lose any Heidi - she just changed her appearance.

We all do little things everyday to change our appearance before we step out the door, whether it be straighten our hair, add a bit of make-up, tan our skin, whiten our teeth, put on a push-up bra - the list is endless. Yet we scorn people that make permanent fixes. I don't care if people go on to make money from their surgeries, more power to them. Launch a modelling career with your new boobs - I don't care. All that matters is that that person is happy.

Renée Zellweger had the perfect response to anyone chatting shit about her new look (not that she had to say anything at all):

 "Perhaps I look different. Who doesn't as they get older?! But I am different. I'm happy."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post!

    Phục vụ cho nhu cầu vận chuyển container bằng đường bộ ngày càng lớn, vận chuyển xăng dầu bằng đường sắt và vận tải, gửi hàng hóa vận chuyển xe máy bắc nam bằng đường sắt cũng đã xây dựng nên những qui trình, dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa bằng các toa xe chuyên dùng chuyên nghiệp và có hệ thống. Đảm bảo mang đến chất lượng tốt nhất cho khách hàng sử dụng dịch vụ.

    ReplyDelete