Saturday 30 April 2016

Back On Team Bey


I have been the biggest Beyoncé fan for almost 20 years now, from the second I heard 'Boy I know you want me, I can see it in your eyes' on the amazing single 'No No No' right through to 'Y'all haters corny with that illuminati mess' on the stand up and be counted anthem that is 'Formation'. She has had a very prominent position on my playlist for as long as I have been able to buy music. For me she is The Idol, as a non religious person she is probably as close I will get to having Jesus in my life. Through her professional and personal life she has taught me a lot, she has encouraged individuality, she speaks for those who can't get a word in and she has achieved a standard that can never be beaten - can you even imagine living in a world with a performer that rivals Beyoncé? No, me neither.

As hard as it would be to imagine a time my head hasn't been up her arse, there was. I am shocked aswell. It happened around the time of the self titled 'Beyoncé' album two years ago. Beyoncé kind of changed. We had glimpses of this change on 'Four', but she kind of flipped the script and introduced the world to Yoncé in 2014. Yoncé was much more of a free spirit, she cursed on her songs, she sang about sex and we lost the family friendly songs. A few years ago it would have been unimaginable to conceive Beyoncé 'on her knees' - as a lifelong fan it made me take a step back. I am not a prude by any stretch of the imagination but it was just a little shocking for me to hear her this way. I may have given her the side eye and thought that she was trying too hard. However I don't think ever in music the genres have blended as much, or people have experimented the way they are now. I applaud Beyoncé for the growth in her music, but I just held on to the old days too much. Don't get me wrong I have some favourites on the album - special shout out to 'Heaven' (I will be seriously pissed if someone doesn't suggest this song to be played at my funeral), just as an overall it wasn't my favourite collection she has released.

One week ago the world was suddenly aware of 'Lemonade' in a way we have never experienced it before, what once was a sugary citrus beverage now had a whole other meaning. 'Lemonade' will forever be synonymous with Beyoncé. I FREAKING LOVE THIS ALBUM! Maybe I have grown into a more mature listener, but something about it ticks all the boxes for me. I need a depressing song - check. I need a sad song - check. I need an angry song - check. I need a happy song - check. I need a dance song - check. This album has it all for me. The range of genres on this album is phenomenal, I wouldn't be surprised if she was nominated for a country music award for the song 'Daddy Lessons'. She is playing with her voice more than ever, she even sounds like she is attempting to rap in 'Hold Up'. My favourite song has to be 'Freedom' which features Kendrick Lamar, and one could argue some of her other songs are inspired by Lamar's previous work. Favourite line has to be 'Imma keep  running, cus a winner don't quit on themselves' - put that on a t shirt and I will hand over my notes.

The short film that accompanied the album was just stunning, I had to watch it in two sittings because it was a bit overwhelming. There is a lot going on. I applaud Beyoncé for shining a light on women of colour, they don't get the attention and admiration they deserve in popular culture. It is an emotional experience, I do feel like I want to sit her down and ask her if everything is good. Did Jay Z cheat or is this a whole story concocted for the album. On one hand if it's true then she has harnessed the emotions into a positive outcome and we have been gifted an incredible album. If it isn't true then my days what a story teller Beyoncé is, she has fooled the world in to believing her through words and images.

No comments:

Post a Comment