Thursday 24 December 2015

My Picks for 2016 - Music!


Okay, so you might look at my top picks and say two things; these are all women, and I already know who they are. Well let me just say I make no apologies for my love of the female vocals and yes, you may know who they are but I am purely basing this on the fact that they haven't yet had chart success in the UK - which is where I currently preside.

Melanie Martinez


She first came to fruition on The Voice in America last year. I did not know this until a minute ago when I started looking into her so I would sound informed for this post. She came sixth - good for her. She was one of my discoveries whilst clicking through YouTube on one of my 'must find new music' tangents. I am really into her cartoon/Japanise Lolita style and her music is very much synth pop meets great song writing. Check out 'Pity Party' - that is my favourite, plus gives me a new birthday anthem. 


Halsey


I am kind of in love with her voice, she sounds a little bit Lorde - which is by no way a bad thing. Her song writing skills are killer, she talks about emotions and social issues with such beauty and wisdom beyond her years. She has made quite a stir in recent months with our American brethren. Now I am waiting for her to explode across the pond on our very shores. Particular favourites include 'Colours' and 'Ghost' - but please watch the video for 'New Americana' - amazing videography, storytelling and cinematography (I can't sell it enough).

CL


She is one forth of the amazing South Korean girl group 2ne1. Check them out. They are insane!! She has kept the same style and sound that made 2ne1 huge and added her own certain spunk to it. Her song 'Hello Bitches' is what Rihanna would have released a few years ago had she been Korean. She perfectly combines synth, hip hop, rap and pop in both Korean and English for this banger. I am obsessed, and the video is nothing short of Korean amazingness that we have come to expect from our Asian cousins. 

Hayley Kiyoko


you may recognise this beaut from the Disney Channel a few years ago. She was in the made for TV movie 'Lemonade Mouth' (it is actually quite great, I recommend it) and also she had guest spots on shows like 'Wizards of Waverly Place'. She appeared as Velma in one of the straight to DVD releases of Scooby Doo - a bit of a sore spot for me as they made Fred have dark hair in the movie - I mean, what the fuck?! Also right now she is staring in 'CSI: Cyber'. She has this sound that I describe as easy listening synth pop. It has the heavy beats but set to a slower speed, allowing the music to take a more dream like state. I personally recommend 'Girls like Girls' and 'Cliffs'. Sit back, smoke something your mother wouldn't approve of and allow yourself to be transported.

Maddie and Tae


I am clutching at very short straws when I say a country act could make it big in the UK, but I have high hopes for these ladies. They blew up on the country scene with a song that was dangerous. The slated country music, in particular the male dominated country chart. Asking simple questions about why girls are portrayed the way they are in videos. Reasonable questions I think. They could have gone down as a novelty one hit wonder, but they capitalised on their instant success and released songs that show their powerful vocals and amazing writing skills. I have high hopes for these ladies because they will resonate with a lot of young-uns here. It is easy listening, deep and inspiring. Come on England lets give country a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment