Thursday 3 October 2013

New Addictions


So once again it is my favourite time in TV world. Not only are all my favourite shows returning, but they come with a whole bunch of new ones tagging along for the ride. Whilst my favourite shows like Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, Grey's Anatomy etc etc fill up most of my free time, I like to take the time to try new ones. Even though its almost guaranteed that most won't last more than a season I still like to watch them. So here are just a few of the new ones that I took a look at.

The Crazy Ones
Buffy may have ended 10 years ago but Sarah Michelle Gellar has stayed in my heart. I tried watching her show The Ringer, but I just didn't get attached (good job aswell as it got the can). She has returned in this 22 minute comedy along with the great Robin Williams. Its about a father and daughter who own an advertising company, not 100% sure where the crazy is, I mean Williams character is a bit eccentric but I don't want to judge him as crazy just yet. I really enjoyed it, and Kelly Clarkson acting like a diva is enough for anyone to tune in. 

Mom
Starring the beautiful alien-esque Anna Faris as a single mum/mom struggling with alcoholism. Its a comedy by the same creators of The Big Bang Theory so you know I was gonna tune in. My main issue is that Anna does not look old enough to be a mother to a teenager, but I got over that. Anna's unique acting skills that features a lot of gurning works perfectly, and her non-bond with her own mother (played by the amazing Allison Janney) is probably my favourite aspect. This kind of comedy is my favourite, plenty of laughs with heartfelt moments.

Sleepy Hollow
I saw the film years and years ago so I was worried I would need to watch it again to understand the TV show. Turns out I didn't need to as its completely detached. The story is basically that a man, Ichabod Crane, has been resurrected 250 years after he died, he died during some war (I should have payed more attention) after he beheaded someone. So of course the beheaded man has been resurrected aswell and is going around killing a load of folk. So Ichabod joins forces with the local police to help them, of course the police officer he joins forces with has a dark past and some connection to the demon stuff that is going on. I like the show, it does need a lot of attention - you blink and you miss something. I'm gonna stick with it and see where it goes.

Sean Saves The World
Starring Sean Hayes of Will & Grace fame as a gay, single dad struggling to balance work and raising his teenage daughter. My problem with this is that it is very similar to Jack from Will & Grace's storyline - a gay dad having to learn how to be father. It is a very funny show though and I will definitely watch it, it got a few giggles out of me. Some of the characters are a little too exaggerated and can be taken down a notch so we can actually relate to them. All in all a good start.

The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
A spin off from the film Avengers Assemble. Joss Whedon has brought his magic back to the TV screens with this very stylish, sleek, action-filled and funny TV show. It isn't a show you can come back and forth to as it has a running storyline to it which I am looking forward to seeing unravel. We haven't met any superheroes yet as it turns out S.H.I.E.L.D do a lot more than manage Superheroes and Gods. Loving the little cameos from the likes of Samuel L. Jackson and Cobie Smulders. Very funny show and a lot to like about it, looks expensive to make so I hope the studios don't lose confidence in it and cancel it.

Super Fun Night
If you know me then you know I have mad love for Rebel Wilson. So I was definitely going to tune in to a TV show she created and stars in. I wasn't disappointed at all. It was funny and heartfelt - with a little Ugly Betty about it. Rebel stars as a lawyer who is sick of not doing anything, so her and her two best friends decided to go out and have some fun, the first episodes see them enter a singing competition at a piano bar, Rebel kills it of course. If I could be a Debbie Downer for a second - I can't stand Rebel's american accent, it isn't necessary. It would not affect the story at all if she kept her aussie accent.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine
A half an hour cop show starring Andy Samberg. If I had to compare it to anything it would be like a police version of Scrubs (just without the the inner dialogue). It has its weird characters and far fetched storylines. It also has a heart and some very funny moments. It is also nice to see Terry Crews on TV, my only issue with that is that I get 'A Thousand Miles' stuck in my head after every episode. I can see this show possibly lasting a while and I would be happy to watch it.

Masterchef Junior
You know I will watch anything with Gordon Ramsey in it. God I love the man. However, if there is one thing that freaks me out it is overly confident children. I don't understand it, when I was a child I would run away from attention and hide under my duvet with my Scooby Doo plush toy. They are crazy talented and can say words that even I, a 25 year old man, struggle to say. This may come from a place of jealousy as I can't even cook a microwave meal with very clear and simple instructions (I have actually acquired a taste for burnt food).

No comments:

Post a Comment