Tuesday 24 September 2013

Thank You Will & Grace


It is quite a big statement to say that one show can make a difference, but I have no hesitation to say that 'Will & Grace' did. It was the first show ever to have 2 lead characters that were gay. It showcased a gay man very differently than what had previously been seen. Homosexuals were often absent from mainstream shows or shown in a very stereotypical manner, 'Will & Grace' managed to avoid all stereotypes (or instead choosing to mock them) whilst still remaining true. The reason I am talking about 'Will & Grace' is because it is 15 years to the day from the airing of the first episode. Eight years, 83 Emmy nominations and 16 wins, 27 Golden Globe nominations, 17 Screen Actor's Guild nominations and 7 wins and millions of laughs later it came to an end.

It quickly became one of my favourite shows as I love a good american sitcom. The whole 'gay' aspect was completely lost on me at a younger age as I didn't really notice it. For me it was like a more grown up version of 'Friends'. I can still watch re-runs everyday and still laugh at it. My favourite character will always be Karen. She was a rich stuck up bitch with a heart when it mattered. Even though I do have a favourite, I don't hate any character that have ever been on the show. Will, Grace, Jack and Rosario made this show epic aswell.

Even though 'Friends' started the trend for guest stars, it was 'Will & Grace' that stepped it up a notch. They had Madonna, Cher, Elton John, Jennifer Lopez, Michael Douglas, Matt Damon and Janet Jackson to name a few.The best guest star they ever had will always be Molly Shannon in my eyes, Val was an amazing and crazy character and I always look forward to her episodes.

I will always be thankful for this show as it showed in an honest way that been gay was okay. They were the first show to show a man-on-man kiss. They were the first show to have a gay couple adoption. They were the first show to show a gay man as a man. Yes, Jack was a flamboyant character and was quite over the top, but Will equalled him out - he was a normal guy, who just happened to be gay.

The one thing I will always hate about 'Will & Grace' is how it ended. It shot forward 18 years in to the future. It showed that Will and Grace didn't speak for the entire time. So the request for a reunion episode is pointless. Unless of course they wait for another 10 years so the actors can catch up to the characters.

This show was one of a kind and it will never be replicated. I own every single episode on DVD (some even twice) and when I finish a run of 'Friends' I reach straight for the 'Will & Grace' boxset. I can quote this show perfectly and often do. The only thing that sucks is that the show never really took off in England. A lot of people are aware of it but not a lot have seen it. I blame E4 for not buying the rights, instead letting a cable channel (LivingTV) buy it.

I heard a rumour a few years back that a Broadway version of the show, mainly focused on Karen, was been produced. I call dibs on front row centre.

The Craigy's Will & Grace Edition

Favourite Main Character - Karen
Favourite Secondary Character - Rosario/Beverly Lesley
Favourite Guest Character - Val
Favourite Episode - 'Bed, Bath and Beyond'
Favourite Cameo - Cher
Favourite Season - 4 and 5 ( A Tie)
Favourite Love Interest - Leo
Favourite Dramatic Moment - Will & Grace argument over insemination 'I asked for one month ...'
Favourite Musical Moment - Jack and Karen 'Unforgettable'
Favourite WTF Moment - Jack has a son

No comments:

Post a Comment