Monday 2 December 2013

I HATE CHRISTMAS SONGS!


So its the beginning of December and of course every radio station, music channel and shopping establishment think there is only one type of music we want to listen to - Christmas songs! I may be a one man army when it comes to my hatred of christmas songs and for that I apologise, but as soon as I hear Noddy Holder scream 'IT'S CHRISTMAS' I can feel my eyes just roll into the back of my head. 

I understand people's love for them, they are happy songs that remind us of this great time of year. It's just I don't choose to listen to them. This will be my 25th Christmas that I have experienced and just for once I would like to not be slapped in the face with them. I work in a restaurant so of course all the other music has been shunned for the christmas cheer. I wouldn't even mind if we had a new bunch of christmas songs to enjoy, but we don't. We get the same ones again and again. Every 'Top 20 Christmas Songs' on the music channels is the same 20 songs. 

However, me being me, I do enjoy a bit of hypocrisy and there is some Christmas songs I do not hate.
  • Mariah Carey 'All I want for Christmas'
  • Danity Kane 'Home For Christmas'
  • Destiny's Child '8 Days of Christmas'
  • Boney M 'Mary's Boy Child'
  • Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson 'Winter Song'
  • Britney Spears 'My Only Wish'
  • Greg Lake 'I Believe in Father Christmas'
My all time favourite Christmas song is by Jackson 5. 'Santa Claus is coming to Town' will get me in the mood for yuletide celebrations.

One thing that irks about some christmas hits is the songs that aren't actually about Christmas. You pair any random, slow, romantic song with a winter themed video and BAM you have a Christmas song. Every year they are brought back and we accept them as christmas songs. For example - 
  • East 17 'Stay Another Day'
  • S Club 7 'Never Had a Dream Come True'
  • Spice Girls '2 Become 1'
  • Gary Jules 'Mad World'
  • Every X Factor single
I don't mean to spread hate especially within the season of joy its just they really bother me, there is no other type of music we are forced to listen to straight for a month or two. And in all honesty do you like Christmas songs? The last Christmas song to get to number one was in 2004 with Band Aid and before then it was 1990 with Cliff Richard! I am however excited to hear Leona Lewis' and Kelly Clarkson's Christmas albums though - their voices slay me.



No comments:

Post a Comment