Wednesday 27 November 2013

British LOL's


Someone asked me the other dau which TV boxsets I owned, so of course 10 minutes later I was finished naming them all. They asked me why there wasn't any British comedies on the list. I replied that I didn't like any of them, I have quite a snobby attitude towards comedy and I honestly think our American cousins do it better. Modern Family, Friends, Parks and Recreation, Will & Grace, The Big Bang Theory - need I say more.
It did get me thinking though - I actually do love some British comedies, whereas some just go over my head. I don't find shows like Alan Partridge, Porridge, Monty Python and Only Fools and Horses that funny (I do not say this out loud with fear of being exiled), but there are some that I find myself watching re-runs of all the time. I wrote a short list of 6 comedies that I feel prove me wrong, and prove that Britain is funny.

1. The Inbetweeners (E4)
I fell for this show straight away, Will is a perfectly written character - the scene where he shits himself during an exam can make me laugh out loud just by thinking about it. The other boys are great aswell, each with their extreme personalities. Neil is probably my favourite character, his naivety mixed with his lack of shame just makes him great.



2. Absolutely Fabulous (BBC)
How can you not like this show. It has everything a comedy should have. It has a drunk best friend, a snobby daughter, a slightly out of it Grandmother and a bat shit crazy assistant. All these characters just add to this show. Eddie is obviously the star of the show, she is totally oblivious to her status and thinks she is more than what she is - however to me she is perfect. If I could change one thing it would be the americans - they are too extreme and I often find myself zoning out when they come on.


3. Miranda (BBC)
I accidentally stumbled across this show one night when I was having pre-drinks at my friends house and she was taking forever to get ready. I will always remember it -  the scene was when she was at a job interview and she starts to sing a Whitney Houston song, I laughed so hard that I almost saw my pre-drinks in reverse. Miranda is one of those characters that I find my self relating to (reluctantly), she is one of lifes losers who just strives to have everything that everyone has but takes for granted. Miranda Hart is a comic genius and I am actually going to see her on tour and I can't freaking wait.


4. The IT Crowd (Channel 4)
I didn't watch this show much when it was broadcast, but then iTunes had an offer to buy the series for like a fiver or something so I snapped it up, so happy I did. I binge watch this show all the time (thank you Netflix). My favourite character is of course Moss - I love him. I feel if I was to be around him I would just laugh all the time, he would hate me because he isn't trying to be funny. Jen and Roy of course make up the magnificent trio. I was glad that Channel 4 got them together to do one more episode to wrap things up - I needed the closure.


5. Trollied (Sky 1)
This is a show that I think is lost amongst the cable channels. It should be on the BBC at least, more people need to see it. It is a sitcom based in a supermarket - we never leave the supermarket. It has a range of characters so there is something for everyone. My favourite character is Lisa, she is the check out girl who could not give less of a shit. She is literally there for the money, she has no passion and is often rude (so basically any shop worker).  She is crude and loathes everybody, she is the best.


6. Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps (BBC)
I believe this was our answer to Friends - accept a hell of a lot more realistic for us Brits. It tells the story of 5 friends trying to get through life in Runcorn. They are struggling for money, struggling for jobs but they appreciate the beauty of having a pint with your mates down the pub. Its hard to pick a favourite character from the original 5, but I would have to say my favourite supporting character was Donna's mum - she was amazing, made me laugh more than anyone else.


So to recap I may have been too harsh, we have some jewels in our comedy crown. We getting better and better and we have had some amazing shows come and go. Maybe my next boxset purchase will be a British Comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment