Sunday 16 March 2014

100 Moments of Glee


So here's what you missed on Glee

Glee is about to turn 100. Their 100th episode will air this week in America. I have been a fan since the beginning. As soon as I heard Rachel Berry sang 'On My Own' from Les Miserables I knew it was something special. It didn't disappoint. Never before has there been a show like this. It was musical TV programme. Music was either used to show emotion or to highlight a story. They covered everything from musicals to pop hits to rock ballads; and later on they even had original songs.

Glee is a juggernaut of a TV show. They have showcased storylines that may have once seemed taboo, they have had guest stars that will rival any American sitcom and they have broken records set by The Beatles and Elvis Presley by having over 100 songs hit the American Billboard Charts. The show has made international stars of its cast, Lea Michele now has a recording career of her very own plus plans to release a book, Chris Colfer wrote 2 books and starred in his very own self written movie and Naya Rivera has her very own recording career, magazine covers and advertisement deals. 

It would be hard to talk about Glee and not mention the darker side. July 13th of 2013 was the worst day in Glee's history. We lost an amazing actor/performer/musician with the unfair and untimely death of Cory Monteith. His work on the show will never be forgotten and his story shall be shared for decades to come. 

However we are here to celebrate the tremendous achievement of 100 episodes. And to do so I thought I would do what I do best - create a list. For me the heart of the show is the songs. So as a gift from me to you I have created a list of my favourite performances.

10. How Will I Know


9. Unpretty/I Feel Pretty


8. Songbird


7. If I Die Young


6. Rumour Has It/Someone Like You


5. Edge Of Glory/All Coming Back/Paradise by the Dashboard Lights


4. Make You Feel My Love


3. Smooth Criminal


2. Roots Before Branches


1. Don't Stop Believing


That was hard and I am sure I will wake up in a cold sweat agonising over my decisions,  for a show that has had over 600 songs it was a challenge but right now I feel happy with my choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment