Saturday 15 March 2014

Coming Of Age


One of the best genre of films in my opinion has to be the 'Coming Of Age' genre. These movies are generally centred around teenagers and young adults. They don't have the best time of it and struggle with a lot of different things, but through out it all they become better people and become more adjusted to the way people expect them to be. Funny thing for me is that I don't think I have lived a very note worthy life yet I find myself identifying with a lot that happens. I may have not done a lot of things these characters have done, but there is something there that makes me feel a bit awkward and makes me realise somethings that I didn't want to. I'll write some examples of this (really trying to open up like I promised in my '100' post haha).

Perks of Being a Wallflower - Charlie falls in love with his best friend.
Yep, been there, done that and got the goddamn heartache to prove it. Don't worry about me though, I accepted it. Charlie was shown a friendship he never felt he would experience again after the untimely death of his best friend, he fell for Sam and all the kindness she showed him. This book means a lot to me as it gave me something that I never felt a book could. The film is amazing. In my experience I fell for a friend aswell, I responded to their personality in a big way and it didn't hurt a damn bit that they are unbelievably attractive. We are great friends now and I wish nothing but the best for them. I know they read this so I won't share too much and ruin what we have.

It's Kind of a Funny Story - Craig's life gets too much
We all have those periods in our lives when life just feels like its too much. The only difference between me and Craig is that I never contemplated suicide. It wasn't an option for me. Craig is highly depressive and life is proving to be a struggle with all the pressures of being a teenager. I know from experience that teenage life sucks the big one. You are too old to make mistakes and too young to be accepted. You have to make major life decisions. It can sometimes feel too much to handle and the truth is is that it is. When I was 16 I had no idea what I wanted to do, now I am 25 and I still don't know what I want to do.

Kings of Summer - The boys want to escape their lives
Along the similar lines of Craig in 'It's Kind of a Funny Story' except they decided to make a change before it becomes to much. I recently made a decision to quit something, it was a hard decision but deep down I do think I am happier now. I had a moment of realisation that I was now free of something that I no longer wanted. Like the boys, people look at me and think I am stupid for what I did, but just like them I don't care either. This is my life to screw up not theirs. And no offence to anyone I know but I don't see anyone in a place to judge what I do.

Pretty In Pink - Duckie has to be happy for Andie even though he is in love with her
This has to be one of the hardest things to do. When you are in love with someone who doesn't love you back, yet you are their friend. He has to accept he can't be with her and he has to watch her with someone else. Yep, in my sad little life I have experienced it. You think that you are the best person for them and you don't understand why they can't see it. So instead you take a back seat and you remain their friend because that is the right thing to do. You are happy for them when they are with someone else, because at the end of the day you want them to be happy even if it isn't with you.

Some noteworthy Coming of Age Movies you need to see
Perks of Being a Wallflower
It's Kind of a Funny Story
Kings of Summer
Pretty in Pink
The Way Way Back
Juno
The Spectacular Now
The Breakfast Club
My Girl
Sixteen Candles
The Virgin Suicides
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Clueless
Mean Girls
Say Anything
Superbad
Easy A
The First Time
Almost Famous

No comments:

Post a Comment