Monday 23 February 2015

My Oscar Fashion Review

Okay, so how great were the Oscars this year? I actually really enjoyed them, I mean the relentless ad breaks began to get on my nerves but they were more than made up for by the actual show. Neil Patrick Harris was the perfect host, his jokes landed, his likeable personality shone through and the boy can sing and dance (of course with the help of the beautiful Anna Kendrick and sudden appearance of Jack Black). I am not too man enough to say I cried at a couple of moments, one been Common and John Legend's performance - it was powerful I tell ya. A few of my Oscar predictions came true, the company my friend works for won an Oscar last night (so I am now officially one step closer to been best friends with Meryl Streep - it is my destiny, I can taste it), all in all it was worth staying up till half 4 in the morning to watch, and I will do it again next year.

Now what I would normally do is praise my favourite dresses of the night and follow up with who I would re-dress. This time I thought I would do it a tad different. I didn't go against these fabulous women's choices - instead I just tweaked them a tad. Just a couple of small changes that I personally think would make them a tonne better. I am not one to against the heavyweights of Chanel and Elie Saab, this is purely my opinion. So, are you ready? Here are my tweaks.


Lupita in custom Calvin Klein 
I am not mad at this dress, I think it is beautifully made and sculpted to perfection. I can't even imagine the work that it took to sew on this many pearls perfectly. My only slight criticisms would be that I don't like the keyhole cutout on her chest or the weight/amount of material on her shoulders. The hole in the chest is way too distracting and I think actually cheapens the look, and lemme tell you there would be nothing cheap about this dress. The weight on the shoulders to me looks like a mistake, last minute decision to not have sleeves so her stylist bunched them up to create the almost cowl neck appearance. 
So what I did was I filled in the hole with more pearls, I slimmed down the material on the shoulders and for fun I filled in the neckline, bringing it right up to the chin almost. It was an experiment but I like the results.  

Zoe in custom Atelier Versace 
This dress didn't need much to make it better. It is classic Versace where it clings in all the right places with good structure around the chest and stomach. For someone who had twins not 2 seconds ago we have to applaud the body. There is just one big no no for me here - I can not stand spaghetti straps! They are ugly, cheap and you can be the thinnest person in the world but they will cut in to your shoulders, creating 2 lumps on each shoulder where it has pushed down all skin and muscle and separated it like Moses and the red sea. Plus you will forever be pulling them up.
All I did was remove the straps and you have to agree it looks so much better, the décolletage looks super hot now it hasn't been split in 3. Also a little cheeky thing I did was lift the underarms of the dress just to create a more flattering neckline.

Julianne in Chanel
I will never hate on this woman, the work she does is outstanding and that award had her name engraved on it for years now - it just had to be the right moment. My only issue with her dress was the band that ran around her hips. It elongated her torso, which I don't believe any woman in the entire world has requested from her designer. She almost has no shape in this dress, could have been the intention, but this woman has a banging body - ya got it ya flaunt it.
All I did was raise the band to her waist. I didn't bring in her waist to emphasize it, the illusion did the work for me. Doesn't it look so much better. It gives her a shorter more natural torso and legs for days. Winner.

Emma in Elie Saab
Emma can't do no wrong in my eyes, she is an example of human excellence. This dress however ... I just don't get the colour choice. I mean how would you even describe it? First of all is green or yellow? I just don't get it. The dress is beautiful don't get me wrong, the colour just doesn't give it justice. Elie Saab is a fashion house I have admired for years, the create dresses of such beauty, the epitome of feminine , so delicate - I couldn't admire them more.
I just made one simple change -  the colour. I took it from the drab yellow/green and make it a soft pink. I feel this colour compliments Emma's skin colour and hair colour so much more, it adds to the fantasy element and lets face it -  red hues were a popular colour of choice last night.

Nicole in Louis Vuitton
She is always one the people I look out for on E! Red Carpet Live. She is a fashion girl at the end of the day. She pushes the envelope with her choices and I have huge respect and admiration for that. This dress though, I love in parts and just scratch my head at others. I will start with what I like; the material, I know a lot of people won't like it or understand why. Let me let you in on a secret, you don't have to understand. Thats what make fashion fun. I like it because it is different, it doesn't require any accessories because it already is the star of the ensemble. That slit! It is perfect. Just the right height, just the right placement, enough said. What I don't like are the accessories. What is that belt? It looks like she spilt on her dress, ran to a haberdashery store before the awards, saw some shocking ribbon to distract from said spillage and strut on the carpet. It just doesn't work. Once again I applaud her choices, but even the Queen trips sometimes.
So what I changed was obviously the belt, I enjoyed the placement and the simplicity so I didn't get rid of it, instead I think a black belt would have worked so much better. It adds a more polished, finished look that I think the Oscar's asks for. Also a little change I did was a created a sweetheart neckline, I was just experimenting and I think it works. It is a very boom boom boom dress, there wasn't any extra pizazz or flirty element, and I think it is now elevated with just simple changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment