Sunday 22 February 2015

My Oscar Predictions and Wants


Here it is, it's the big one. The Award show that every one who loves films will watch, anyone in the film industry will watch and anyone wanting to slag off a gorgeous actresses' fashion choice will watch.  It's the 87th Academy Awards! Before I give my opinion I must admit something; I haven't seen all the films I am about to talk about. However, I have seen all the trailers so that's kind of the same thing.

BEST PICTURE

"American Sniper"
"Birdman"
"Boyhood"
"The Grand Budapest Hotel"
"The Imitation Game"
"Selma"
"The Theory of Everything"
"Whiplash"

For me one of the best films of the year has been snubbed. I thought 'Wild' starring Reese Witherspoon was completely ignored. It was a beautiful film, amazing locations, a deep emotional story and outstanding performances. Anyway, the winner of this category has to be 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' - it was absolutely stunning. It made me laugh, made me emotional and my days the cinematography was unmatched. I also wouldn't be mad if 'Boyhood' won, if we want to award a film then we have to take in consideration the process it took. This film took 12 years to create after the genius idea of using the same actors throughout the years was thought up.  Instead of these different places of time having to be created for the screen, the director used the actual time.

BEST ACTOR

Steve Carrell, "Foxcatcher"
Bradley Cooper, "American Sniper"
Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game"
Michael Keaton, "Birdman"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything"

I have to give it to Eddie Redmayne for this one, in what could be described as a boring film with an unlikeable list of characters he shone! His transformation into Prof. Stephen Hawking was exceptional, I have to admit I got lost in the character, I didn't see Eddie anymore and guess that was the point, so job well done there. He is going to be a legendary British actor in years to come, I can see it now - plus that face is a bit oosh! I talked about 'Wild' been snubbed before so I might carry on the trend. A couple of actors who I believe were snubbed are Andy Serkis and Toby Kebbell for their work on 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes'. Stay with me here, I know they played almost non speaking apes but they were amazing! Think about it, they played apes to the point that it was hard to even consider that apes weren't used. I know it was heavily reliant on CGI but at the end of the day it was Serkis and Kebbell doing the work, the computers added fur and an ape face to it. The Academy has to start recognising these types of acting as worthy of an award.

BEST ACTRESS

Marion Cotillard, "Two Days, One Night"
Felicity Jones, "The Theory of Everything"
Julianne Moore, "Still Alice"
Rosamund Pike, "Gone Girl"
Reese Witherspoon, "Wild"

I think we all know Julianne Moore will win this, I mean she should start looking for a safe route towards the stage and have a speech prepared now - with none of this 'I wasn't expecting this' crap. She is an outstanding actress and someone I hope to be as I grow up. Anyway, I don't think we should discredit Reese Witherspoon quite so fast. In my opinion she gave one of the best performances of the year and as an actress she really pushed herself. It was her alone on the screen most of the time, telling this amazing story of growth and escape. Plus I have only seen the trailer to 'Cake', and I absolutely love all the attention it has brought to Jennifer Aniston but it would have been lovely for her to get a nod. As the Millennial Generation it would be great to see the star of one of the shows that made my childhood finally be recognised for something other than Rachel Greene.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Robert Duvall, "The Judge"
Edward Norton, "Birdman"
Ethan Hawke, "Boyhood"
Mark Ruffalo, "Foxcatcher"
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash"

Having only seen one of these films I can only give the award to Ethan Hawke, and it is completely deserved; he dedicated 12 years to this film playing the same character. He was believable as the father of 3 who loves his kids and just wants them to be great. I do however feel like Tony Revolori as 'Zerofrom 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' was snubbed. As a newcomer in a star studded cast he really shined, his dry approach to the role shouldn't be taken for granted, he made this character great, loveable and the perfect sidekick to Ralph Fiennes.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Patricia Arquette, "Boyhood"
Laura Dern, "Wild"
Keira Knightley, "The Imitation Game"
Emma Stone, "Birdman"
Meryl Streep, "Into the Woods"

This is like Sophie's choice (get it? Meryl won the Best Actress award for that character. I'm hilarious). I have love for all these women. They are all titans of the field. I have reasons why all these actresses should win.
Patricia - Amazingly cast as the mother of two, struggling with bad relationships, bettering herself through education and showing us how great an actress she truly is.
Laura - what isn't to love? I think this character almost mirrors who she really is. She is loveable, kind, warm human being.
Keira - British pride once again, loved her from 'Bend it like Beckham' all the way to today, she will be a gracious winner. However she is preggers so she already has her prize this year.
Emma - I yelped like a girl when I found out she was nominated. Why she wasn't nominated for 'Easy A' I will never know. Love this girl.
Meryl - One more for the cabinet it seems. When isn't she nominated? She could take a year off, make a Vine video and be nominated for Best Actress, Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Make-up and Costume. This woman is a gift to the entertainment world.
All this been said, I think it is Patricia's year. And well deserved it would be.

So those are the main awards that we will all be talking about and my opinions. I am almost always wrong when it comes to these awards, but if every other award show tells us anything we can pretty much guess who will win.

Here are some other winners I would love to see this evening.

BEST DIRECTOR

Wes Anderson, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Richard Linklater, "Boyhood"

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Robert Yeoman, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

BEST FILM EDITING

Sandra Adair, "Boyhood"

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Adam Stockhausen (Production Design) and Anna Pinnock (Set Decoration), "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Milena Canonero, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

"I'm Not Gonna Miss You," by Glen Campbell, "Glenn Campbell: I'll Be Me"

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Paul Franklin, Andrew Lockley, Ian Hunter and Scott Fisher, "Interstellar"


No comments:

Post a Comment