Wednesday 18 February 2015

The Show That Everyone Should Be Watching! Broad City!


I have heard a bit of buzz around this show, a few blogs and vlogs I follow are just in love with this show. So of course I had a peek. I WATCHED THE ENTIRE FIRST SEASON IN ONE SITTING! I was instantly obsessed with these two women. For me, if I had to capture it in a few words it would be that it is like a more realistic 'Girls', with a lot of pot and whole lot more laughs.

Yes, there is a lot of a recreational drug use - one episode even focuses on Abbi trying to be a grown up and source her own pot dealer, but don't think this is just a stoner show. It so isn't. For me the best thing about this show is the friendship. The friendship is extreme, loving, inconveniente and special. I have close friends but my god they take it to another level, they set new friendship goals.

The show started out as a YouTube series, and the wonderful (Future Mrs Craig) Amy Poehler saw it, and ran with it. Shopped it around to a bunch of networks and found them a home at Comedy Central, I will be forever thankful. The show is still up on YouTube in 5 minute manageable bites. There is so much to say about this show that I find that I can't think of anything (you know how that happens).

I could talk about Ilana's allergy to shellfish, Abbi's determination to be a fitness instructor, the measures they go to buy Lil' Wayne ticket's, Ilana's f-buddy/dentist, Abbi's roommate's boyfriend, Ilana's immigrant gay roommate, the episode where they try and work out who pooped in the shoe, Abbi's alterego Val who is a famous lounge singer for the elderly, Abbi's reaction to medication after dental surgery, Ilana's crazy mother who buys counterfeit handbags every time she visits New York from the China Town underground, their amazing fashion, Abbie melting her lover's dildo in the dishwasher, the time Abbi danced naked to 'Edge of Glory' (and the fact Lady Gaga tweeted about it), their love for 90's hip hop ....

I just couldn't sell this show enough and I have a feeling it will be huge come award season next year. The two girls are the creators and writers for the show, Amy Poehler is the producer and I recommend it - what more could you want?!

No comments:

Post a Comment