Tuesday 22 July 2014

Return Of The Girlbands


For a while it seemed like Little Mix and The Saturdays were having to hold the fort down when it came to girlbands. However we can now all take a joint sigh of relief - we have some more girlbands breaking through. There has always been a hole in the music industry where girlbands just couldn't make the cut. Ever since the Spice Girls, Sugababes, Pussycat Dolls, Destiny's Child and Girls Aloud all left us to fend for ourselves we have needed a group of females to come out and kick the boyband's arses. Little Mix and The Saturdays have done a dame good job but they need a little help. And lets face it, The Saturday's next album is a Greatest Hits, this is normally the beginning of the end. They will say that they are going on a break and we all know what that means. The Spice Girl's break lasted 7 years and they only came back with one single and one tour, Girls Aloud's break lasted 3 years and they only came back with one single and one tour and Destiny's Child's break is currently on it's 7th year. 

So now we have a bunch of new ladies ready to take the stage. I have shortlisted 4 girlbands that I am quite excited about. Lets go -

Neon Jungle

This british 4 piece have already made waves with two singles in the top 10 and a 3rd released this week already in the iTunes top 10. I like these girls because they have an edge about them. They aren't singing your generic pop music, they have more of a dubstep vibe about them. Although saying that my favourite song so far is 'Louder', its a pop ballad that really showcases their voices. And yes, all four of them can sing. I was a bit unsure of them when I first heard them with their song 'Trouble' as I wasn't quite sure why they were shouting at me, but I have warmed to them in a big way and I am very excited for their album.




M.O

Another british band we should be taking notice of. Once again they are taking a step away from the happy pop music and they are bringing a more urban vibe. I first heard them as a soundtrack on a TV show and had to find the song instantly. The song was 'Ain't Got Time', the chorus was so catchy and I guarantee that with one listen you will be singing the words as you walk around town. The single didn't do great in the charts but I am happy to say it hasn't stopped them, they are releasing new music and videos as I type.



Fifth Harmony

You may already know who these are as they were finalists in last years The X Factor US. They were put together on the show after all auditioning solo, and what a great idea it was (except maybe Camila, she kind of shines on her own). I fell in love with their voices straight after hearing them sing Shontelle's 'Impossible' - if you get the chance YouTube it. They released a couple of songs after leaving that were extremely pop and sold them to a tween market. However their latest single 'Bo$$' is showing some growth, some may argue too much growth but at the end of the day they aren't stepping on Miley's toes with this song - its fun, very powering for a female and a good time.




GRL

I can almost guarantee that you have heard these ladies sing, or at least one of them. These are the five girls singing behind Pitbull in his song 'Wild Wild Love' and the blonde lady is the singer on LMFAO's single 'Party Rock Anthem'. However they no longer have Feat. infront of their names and they have released music on their own. There has been a lot of comparison to the Pussycat Dolls - it's an easy one to make as they have the same creator, Miss Robin Antin. And to be honest I don't think they should be judged for this, the Pussycat Dolls are no longer around so why not bring 5 fresh faces to come and fill the void. They are fun and I absolutely love their latest single 'Ugly Heart'. I have a feeling these grl's will be around for a bit, I mean Britney Spears has already given her approval and who are we to argue with Queen Pop herself.







No comments:

Post a Comment