Friday 17 January 2014

Lets hear it for the boys!


I may have expressed my love for the female singing voice one or two thousand times on this teeny blog; but I can't help it, they dominate my Spotify and iTunes playlists. However, always the hypocrite, there is quite a few of the old male variety that consume a small percentage of my music. I do have the same criteria for these as I do the girls - 1st their voices have to be special, 2nd the songs have to hit me and resonate with me and 3rd I need to be able to sing along, for what I lack in ability I sure make up for in passion. So as a lover of lists I have chosen 10 male music acts that I happen to love - lets go:

1. Ed Sheeran
His voice is beautiful, his songs are beautiful and that red mane is beautiful. His songs stick with me because they are so deep and meaningful. He tells stories in a unique way, there is no-one like him in the industry. I need to see him live, I can only imagine it will be one thing - beautiful.

2. Yellowcard
I discovered these about 10 years ago when 'Ocean Avenue' was released. There first album is great but their second album was amazing. It has some of my favourite songs of all time on it 'Holly Wood Died' and 'Two weeks from Twenty' are particularly special. 'Way Away' is probably my favourite song they recorded - it is an amazing shout-it-when-your-frustrated type of songs.

3. Fall Out Boy
I think everyone has a special place in their hearts for this band. They are just fun, the songs are amazing. There is a club where I live called The Sugarmill, and in the back room they will play 'Dance Dance' or 'Sugar, We're going down' - this is where you will find me throwing some serious shapes.

4. OneRepublic
Ryan Tedder is a music writing genius, he has probably written some of your favourite songs and you didn't even know. He truly shines though when he is fronting this great band. 'Counting Stars' was by far one of my favourite songs of 2013. Also Ryan is quite pretty and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

5. Imagine Dragons
This band is quite new to my musical loves. They sang some songs that I didn't even know was them. So one day I decided to look at the Discover page on Spotify and there they were, so I though why the hell not. My days the album is so so so good. Full of emotion fuelled songs, mixed with fun songs and some great modern rock songs. 'Demons' is probably my favourite and the last 30 seconds of the video has me in buckets.

6. The Killers
I have being a silent fan of these for 10 years now. I have loved all of their stuff but I never made a big deal about it. Brandon is everything - beautiful, talented and a great showman. I have had the honour to see this band twice live and it is such a good atmosphere, it is electric when the intro for 'Mr Brightside' starts. Chills.

7. One Direction
Once again I show no shame in my love for the boys. I have probably mentioned too many times just how much I love them. They aren't your typical boy band, their songs have a more rockier edge to them which I respond to very well - but honestly they could sing the phone book and I would be happy, as long as they are looking at me whilst they do so.

8. Hunter Hayes
My love for country music rarely goes past the female voices but this little scamp creeped up on me from nowhere. 'Wanted' was a major hit for him and I even saw it on a British Music Channel. His next single was even better in my eyes 'I Want Crazy'. His country twang, great lyrics, blond hair and cheeky grin make up one great country star.

9. Ron Pope
I'll put my hand up now, I don't know much of his music - however he made the list because he sang and wrote one of my favourite songs of all time. 'A Drop in the Ocean' is beyond a beautiful song, I think I heard it when I had a lot of the same emotions so it stuck with me. Even to this day I listen to it and it reminds of certain things. I love it love it love it. Also his voice is top notch.

10. Bastille
I first heard this band when they did this amazing mash-up of 'No Scrubs' by TLC and quotes from 'Psycho' - it was genius. Worked so amazingly well, so I downloaded the mixtape and there was even more to love. So happy for them now that they are getting international success. His voice is so special and the songs are unlike anything you have heard before.

Honourable Mentions
Kanye West
Justin Timberlake
Bruno Mars
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
Pharrell Williams
Fun.
Michael Buble
Calvin Harris
The 1975
Jake Bugg
Arctic Monkeys
John Legend
Kings of Leon


No comments:

Post a Comment