Tuesday 14 January 2014

You don't know you're beautiful? Listen to these.


There is a type of song that I absolutely love, and that type of song would be the girl power song. I know I know I am one of those penis carriers. I shouldn't even listen to these songs as they aren't for my kind - the men. However they clutter my iTunes. There is something so beautiful about them, these music icons are putting aside their own dramas and lives to write and sing songs that let their young female fans know that they aren't alone out there. For every insecurity they have and every issue they are currently dealing with they are letting their fans know they aren't alone. These fans can bond over this and maybe just maybe listen to these songs and find the courage to face their demons and live. So, as I do I have written a short list of some of my favourite acts that sing some kick ass girl power songs:

1. Destiny's Child - Story Of Beauty/Independent Women Part 1/Survivor
This band can be described as a true champion of women. They have written a few songs for woman to chant, fist bump and scream too. My favourite girl power song would be 'Story Of Beauty'. It tells a story of a young girl who doesn't know her worth after she has had a troubled life.
Favourite lyric - 'I hope one day she realise and sees the beauty in her eyes. All she needs is prayer and strength because she is beautiful'

2. TLC - Unpretty
This has to be an anthem for a generation of girls who never felt pretty enough. Instead of being condescending they sing about feeling the same way. TLC have always been about girl power, mainly about how girls are not be messed with and they are just as strong as men - so it must have been comforting for the female fans to know that Left Eye, T-Boz and Chilli also have their insecurities.
Favourite Lyric - 'Why do I look to all these things, To keep you happy. Maybe get rid of you and then I'll get back to me'

3. Little Mix - Little Me/Change Your Life/Wings
Instead of singing about boys and love, these girls came running out the gate singing about girl power. First song 'Wings' was a marching anthem for all girls to know they can fly and do what they want. For young girls these girls are great, as we have watched them from the audition stages we know they are four average lasses who achieved the impossible. Favourite girl power song of theirs would be 'Little Me' - it sings about being who you are and not being afraid, the catch is the song is actually written to their younger selves.
Favourite Lyric - 'You gotta speak up, you gotta shout out, And know that right here, right now, You can be beautiful, wonderful, Anything you wanna be'

4. Christina Aguilera - Beautiful/Fighter/Can't Hold Us Down
Everyone knows 'Beautiful' and most will know the words. Its an amazing song about feeling beautiful in ugly situations. Fun fact about this song is that the released version is the first demo she did, the writer liked the rawness and organic feeling it had, she didn't want another version. This is definitely a song that young girls need to hear and take in.
Favourite Lyric - 'We are beautiful in every single way. Yes, words can't bring us down, oh, no. So don't you bring me down today'

5. Jessie J - Who You Are
If its not her killer vocals that slay you then its the message of this song. It tells about the struggle to just be you. Its hard to express one's self sometimes, Jessie captures the thoughts of so many of us in the song. It is one my favourite songs of all time (and also one of my favourite songs to scream along to when home alone, or when I want to piss off the twin). For the past 4 acts I have picked favourite lyrics, but basically every word is perfect - but to keep the flow I have chosen one.
Favourite Lyric - 'Its okay not to be okay'

6. Selena Gomez - Who Says
This is one of those songs that we would love to shout at our bullies. She is basically calling out her tormentors and asks them why, whilst also talking to her fans about how they are entitled to feel beautiful even if others pull you down. I love the message of this song, I mean it is so right. Who says we can't be what we want to be? No one has that control.
Favourite Lyric - 'I’m sure you got some things. You’d like to change about yourself. But when it comes to me I wouldn’t want to be anybody else.'

7. P!nk - Fuckin' Perfect
If theres one thing that I love about P!nk its her brutal honesty. She sings about what she wants and does what she wants. This song didn't come as a shock because she has always been a champion of the underdog. This song is just fucking perfect. The video made me weep like a hungry child. This is one of those songs that you know helped a lot of people.
Favourite Lyric - 'Pretty, pretty please, if you ever, ever feel like you're nothing, you're fucking perfect to me'

8. Lady Gaga - Born This Way
This song isn't just about girl power, its about humans. It is written for all of us. It is a song we can raise a fist too and scream at the top of our longs if we ever feel like we can't be us. Don't apologise for not been like someone else. We are who we are. She does a lot for her fans with making them feel special and I feel like she encapsulates in this song. If she was to leave this earth tomorrow that would be her legacy.
Favourite Lyric - 'No matter gay, straight, or bi, Lesbian, transgendered life, I'm on the right track baby, I was born to survive. No matter black, white or beige Chola or orient made, I'm on the right track baby, I was born to be brave.'

9. Demi Lovato - Skyscraper
She recorded this song after a very dark period of her life. This song was her coming out song if you like, she didn't let her illness bring her down. It is a beautiful song with even more beautiful vocals behind it. It sends a message that if your truly believe in yourself you can do whatever you want.
Favourite Lyric - 'Go on and try to tear me down, I will be rising from the ground, Like a skyscraper'

10. Kelly Clarkson - Stronger/People Like Us/Mr Know It All/Miss Independent/Dark Side
Our Kelly sure knows how to belt a powerful song out. Her voice is flawless and really can make you stop in your tracks sometimes. My favourite songs of hers are always her positive anthems. The power of her voice really reflects the power of the message she tries to tell. My favourite is probably 'People Like Us', this song came and went rather unnoticed which was unfortunate as it says a lot that people should hear.
Favourite Lyric - 'People like us, we've gotta stick together. Keep your head up nothing lasts forever. Here's to the damned, to the lost and forgotten. It's hard to get high when you're living on the bottom'

Honourable Mentions
Beyonce - Pretty Hurts
One Direction - That's what makes you beautiful
Ke$ha - We Are Who We Are
Alicia Keys - Girl On Fire
Nicki Minaj - Fly
Katy Perry - Firework
Glee Cast - Loser Like Me
30 Seconds To Mars - The Edge
Kellie Pickler - Don't You Know You're Beautiful
Aretha Franklin - Respect
Des'ree - Gotta Be
Keri Hilson - Pretty Girl Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment