Wednesday 11 June 2014

Orange Is The New Black - Season 2 : My Review


First of all let me explain that I am not a professional reviewer, you won't find any long words or any technical language. I am merely but a fan of television and here to have my little soap box moment and say what I wanna say.

I fell in love with Orange Is The New Black as soon as I discovered it, I was sceptical at first as no one expects big things for shows that are just made for the internet. You don't expect money to be really invested and your expectations of high level talent are in large parts nothing but disappointments. However, along came OITNB and all these opinions diminished. The story was interesting and entertaining, the acting was top notch and the quality was up there to rival any network television show. I am going to write my review the best way I know how- in a list:

IT SHOULD GO WITHOUT SAYING - **SPOILER ALERT**

Highs
  • The first episode, which was mainly focused on Piper's transfer to a prison in Chicago. I was scared for her thinking she may never go back to the prison she has come accustomed to.
  • The crazy woman who thought Piper might be Lindsay Lohan, and desperately needed to know what time of day she was born.
  • Knowing a little more of Suzanne's (Crazy Eyes) past. Her Mum's speech to the stuck up mother of her daughter's friend brought a tear to my eye.
  • Introduction of Vee, her taking over and ultimate demise were written so well.
  • Pennsatucky and Healy's little relationship, and the very short moments in 'Safe Place'
  • Finding out why Morello is in prison. Finding out everything she said about her fiancĂ© was a lie.
  • O'Neill singing to the nuns
  • Sophia's new weave and reconnecting with her son.
  • Nicky been strong and not taking the drugs even though she could of.
  • Poussey becoming a more main character, the actress is beautiful, she is so talented and her smile slays me. When she spoke to the camera about what love is I melted.
  • Miss Rosa's cancer storyline. Her moments in the hospital with that guy were special. Plus her back story was one of the best from the season.
  • Red's transformation from been bottom of the pack to been back on top. Her constant battle with Vee was well written and believable.
  • The Golden Girls - who knew old women could be so cut throat. 
Lows
  • Suzanne becoming a much more darker character. I know she has some mental problems but she was my comic relief in some parts of the show. Don't get me wrong I love knowing about her on a deeper level but I didn't like that Vee took advantage of her.
  • Larry. I just don't like his character that much. I don't think he brings much to the show. I am grateful that his character keeps Poppy on the show but thats it.
  • Diaz's pregnancy. Seriously how many months has she been pregnant now. I wish there was some sense of time on this show. Plus every conversation with Bennett are the same -  moaning about what life will be like outside of prison, John should come clean about being the father blah blah blah. Just give birth already.
  • Fischer been fired, god I hope she comes back for season 3.
  • Soso, I am not completely sold on this character. She definitely made me laugh a bit, and I think we aren't supposed to like her. She annoys Piper, therefore she annoys us.
  • The prison guards, I don't know if this is just me,  but I don't care about their life outside of the prison. I care much more about the prisoners themselves.
  • Laura Prepon where were you?! I understand you had other work so your part on this show had to be limited, but I missed you!
All in all it was a great season. I watched it in 3 days, and it only took me that long because sleep and work got in the way. I cannot wait for season 3. The show definitely grew, the characters became more developed and some actresses truly shone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment