Tuesday 19 August 2014

The Saturdays - My Finest Selection


Incase you haven't read my blog before I should let you in on something - I have a huge love for girlbands. There is something so amazing when a group of girls/women get together, belt out a tune, maybe pop a few moves and in some cases wear cohesive outfits. Arguably the biggest girlband in England today is The Saturdays. Una, Rochelle, Frankie, Mollie and Vanessa have been constant fixtures on the UK Top 40 for the last 6 years. Over this time they have amassed 19 top 40 singles, 5 top 10 albums and had 4 sellout tours. The Saturdays definitely have their own sound, there is no denying it is them when you hear one of their tunes, they are fun, exciting and gorgeous. So as I do I have created a short list as a favour from me to you of my top 10 favourite The Saturdays songs - lets go -

10. Missing You (Headlines!, 2010)
This was the first single released from their 3rd album, Headlines! A slower song then what we are used to but pushed along by the amazing vocals of Vanessa belting out those top notes and ad libs. It reached number 3.


9. Work (Chasing Lights, 2009)
The final release from their debut album, and in my opinion a seriously overlooked song. It is one of their worst performing songs only peaking at 22. This song gave Mollie a chance to shine as she had the first verse. It is such a power song and really was top 10 worthy.


8. Forever Is Over (Wordshaker, 2009)
This was the first single from the EP Wordshaker. After a disappointing chart position with 'Work' this rode high in the charts peaking at number 2. Una for me really dominates this song, her raspiness sells it - love the bridge aswell when they all take a line each. These girls can sing.


7. Issues (Chasing Lights, 2009)
Their first foray in to ballads - and they nailed it. This song spoke to a lot of us who were feeling mistreated and yet couldn't explain our feelings. This song is beautiful and an anthem for a lot of people 'Me and my heart we have issues'. Peaked at number 4.


6. All Fired Up (On Your Radar, 2011)
If there is one thing this group can do it is fill a dance floor. This song is one of many to get people up and knocking heels. A proper fist pumping, miming till you strain your mouth song. You can't help but feel energised when hearing this song, and England liked it aswell - it charted at number 3. Also fashion wise probably one of my favourite videos.


5. Ego (Wordshaker!, 2010)
This song just has so many killer lines that many of us want to shout at that one obnoxious person who needs to be put in their place. Plus the video is hella cool, who doesn't love 5 beautiful girls in superhero spandex? This song charted at number 9 - should have been a number 1 in my eyes.


4. Notorious (On Your Radar, 2011)
If I was a girl (some may argue I already am) this would definitely be my anthem. I would have it as my alarm, my running song, my getting ready song and my first request at the club. 'I'm a outlaw. I'm the big boss. I'm a gangster on the dancefloor. (N-n-notorious) I'm a outlaw. I'm the big boss. I'm a gangster on the dancefloor' I mean what girl doesn't wanna scream this!?


3. What About Us (Living For The Weekend, 2013)
THIER FIRST NUMBER 1!! And it was well passed due! They have had many a killer song but this is the one that got the attention, and I couldn't be more happy for them. It is pure pop perfection. Did it need Sean Paul? No, I don't think it did but I got why - it got the song a lot more heed. Still slays me how Rochelle sings 'suffocating', and if you say you sing it in your own accent then you are lying (fyi Jesus hates liars).

2. Up (Chasing Lights, 2008)
It was their second ever single and I fell in love instantly. I was once even told it was wrote in a genius way as it only uses 4 notes or something - I could be completely wrong but someone did say something (I have no music knowledge). This video still tried to use the whole one colour for each girl thing, and it is extremely cute. A very empowering song for the ladies of the world. Reached number 5.

Unfortunately for some reason YouTube won't let me put this video on the blog - so search for it, and thank me later

1. Here it is, my favourite Saturday's song. It came out in 2010. There are two versions of it, one with Flo Rida and then a better version without Flo Rida. It reached number 10 in the charts, we all agree it should have been number 1!! The video is shot on a fake New York street. It is from the album 'Headlines!'. You know which song I mean, it is of course

HIGHER


Una's voice kills me when she reaches the top note.
I always shout Vanessa's first line 'I'm doing nothing'.
All the girls get a solo line.
They all look gorgeous in the video, styling is on point.

There we have it, my top 10 (arguably the definitive top 10 if you will). The Saturdays have delighted our ears for a few years now and I sincerely hope this isn't the end of them. Sad to say a Greatest Hits album normally signals the beginning of the end. I myself can't wait to go see them live again and shake my ass off. Before I do however I just wanted to give one last shout out to another Saturday's song. It is an unreleased track, but I think it was possibly the best song on their first album. So check it out below, it's called 'Fall'.




No comments:

Post a Comment