Sunday 5 April 2015

... and it's hard to say goodbye, my love.


Oh, so the networks or the writers just decide to cancel shows and I am supposed to be okay with this? No sir, not today Satan, not today. These characters have been in my life longer than some friends. Jules Cobb and Rachel Barry for 6 years and my imaginary future wife Leslie Knope, 7 years. I have been with them through their up and their downs and so many musical numbers I lost count. I learnt to care about these people and whatever issues they go through; and one day someone stops putting pen to paper and I have to move on?

Some shows do shoot to the future in the final episode so possibly I would get closure, but I hate it when they do this. It is basically solidifying the fact I will never get another season, minds can't be changed. It has been years but possibly one of the greatest comedies of all time was tarnished for me with the final episode, this show is Will & Grace - how dare the writers tell us that they didn't speak for 18 years!!! Will and Grace's friendship was pure magic and created so many friendship goals, the writers were just like 'nah, lets have them broken up for the entire growth of their children just so we can get a warm 5 minute ending' - seething I was and as you can probably tell, still not over it. However, I am not here to talk about older shows, I am talking about the shows that have chosen to abandon me this year. Here are three that hit home and have left my TV shaped heart empty.

Parks and Recreation

I don't want to oversell this show, but it is quite possibly one of the best television shows ever created. If you have seen it then you love it, its that simple. I haven't met anyone who was a bit 'meh' over it. When you combine the brilliant writers, amazing behind the scenes crew and one of the best cast ensembles since 'Friends' you have television gold. This show is the perfect combination of slap stick comedy, heartwarming moments, intelligent writing and characters who you genuinely cheer for. As previously mentioned I don't like it when a show shoots forward in the finale just to wrap it up, but this one was done with a sincerity to show that it didn't feel like a quick finish - infact it gave you more questions than answers. Is Lesley the President?

Glee

Yes, I am a gleek. This show was just brilliant (except season 5, we don't talk about season 5). If you knew me  it wouldn't come to much of a shock that I enjoy a song and a dance. And this show was spilling over with them. Season 6 was really special, and a nod to the brilliance of the show in season one. It had the heartwarming underdog stories, plus the campness that we come to expect from this type of show. Highlights of the season for me would be Unique singing 'I Know Where I've Been', the cast singing 'Home' and the introduction to the 5 main new characters. If only these characters came in earlier, because no offense to the last group that joined in season 4, I cared about what happened with these. This show also did the shoot to the future thing, didn't annoy but it also didn't please me - of course Rachel won a Tony.

Cougar Town

I think some of my friends watched this show when it started, but I don't know how many stuck with it like myself - what can I say, I'm committed. As soon as this show was announced I knew I had to watch it, I mean it is Courteney Cox - the star of my favourite TV show and film franchise. For me, this show followed off from where 'Scrubs' finished. It is a beautiful mix of comedy and drama. Yes there is a funny underline to everything in this show but my days it made me cry. Talking of crying, the last episode had me balling. If you haven't seen it then sorry, but when they all lie to Jules and tell her they are leaving, and it turns out it was to fulfil her wish of hearing what people would say if she died (weird sentence, makes sense if you watched it) - I was on the floor in the fetal position, it was too much. 

These were the main three that decided to abandon me without a second thought, and for the safety of television networks around the world there better not be any more. I have a weak heart as it is, it could kill me.

Other little cuts to my TV viewing pleasure are Garfunkel and Oates, Looking, Hot in Cleveland and Melissa and Joey. I am hopeful, I am a survivor. Somehow I have managed to survive cuts before (thanks in large parts to re-runs and boxsets).

No comments:

Post a Comment