Sunday 5 April 2015

My Top 10 Girl Bands - Worldwide Edition


I recently wrote my Top 10 British Girl girl bands, and I was racked with guilt that I completely discredited the music of the non British folk.  There is such a variety of girl bands out there, past and present, and I feel as lover of them all I should impart my knowledge. Plus you never know, I may introduce you to the next song you skip to when you mistakenly put your music on shuffle and regret it. I am not going to put them in a top 10 because I have picked quite a pick and mix of genres. We have country, K-Pop, rock, R'n'B, pop and hip hop to get through, so lets get going.

Destiny's Child

I fell in love with these ladies the second I heard the word 'no' repeated 3 times in rapid succession. They came out at the time that slow jams of the 90's was deteriorating and pop was coming back. They captured both the audiences and went on to sell over 60 million records. Yes, we all know the lame jokes about line up changes (they only had 3 line ups, and 6 girls in total!) but the music never lost quality. We have girl power anthems after girl power anthems. I had the honour of seeing the ladies on their final tour and they were outstanding (Michelle is seriously underappreciated). For any nay sayers out there, if it wasn't for Destiny's Child we wouldn't have Beyonce where she is now, so respect that. 

The Veronicas

I couldn't step away from Destinys Child more if I tried. We have taken a quick trip to Australia and found two beautifully talented twins by the names of Lisa and Jess Origliassio. I, for some reason, resonate with twin acts, been a twin myself I always champion other twins. However, take away whether they share a womb or not these girls are perfection. They created some of my favourite albums of all time, rocked my world twice in Manchester and basically supplied my soundtrack for last few years. They had some issues with their record label but they are back and better then ever. I'm a Veronica.

2NE1

So South Korea do things a little differently, this amazingly talented band didn't just come together by chance; they were hired and had four years training before releasing their debut song in 2009. Boy, did it pay off. They exploded on to the scene, becoming the face of K-Pop and churned out hit after hit. Yes, their songs are mainly in their native tongue but they have recorded some english versions - plus their choruses are predominantly english. However, for some reason it doesn't matter that they don't sing in english - the talent shines through and their videos are spectacular. And their fashion? Forget about it - flawless.

Pussycat Dolls

Hey! Don't argue with me here! I am fully aware this girl band was basically Nicole and her dancers - I don't care. That is what they were paid to do and god damn it they did it well! I love the Pussycat Dolls. They are pop perfection. Everyone knows the words to 'Don't cha', everyone wishes they had the flexibility of a doll and everyone should respect what they did. There is a reason they are the fourth biggest selling girl group of all time with more than 54 million albums sold from only two albums recorded. They sold more than The Supremes, En Vogue and Sugababes combined. These ladies are a guilty pleasure that actually I don't feel guilty about at all.

Pistol Annies

What happens when you combine three talented country singers? Magic, thats what. These ladies decided to join forces for two albums and they are perfect albums to say the least. Don't look any further when you want to find country goodness, great lyrics and vocals that could only be compared to the greatest. I was saddened that they decided to call it quits after only 3 singles and 2 albums. They are for sure on my bucket list for live acts I have to see. For now I will have to listen to them separately and pray to Jesus for a reunion. 

Salt-N-Pepa

First of all let me get this off my chest, I never quite understood why they completely discredited Spinderella in the title of this band, but whatever - I'm guessing her accountant isn't too mad about it. These ladies were ahead of their time, a trio of ladies in the hip-hop world was unheard of, they were true trailblazers. They rapped and sung about things that most women shied away from, they weren't afraid and they have been celebrated for it ever since. It is my dream to be able to rap 'Shoop' word for word one day. 'Whatta Man' is such an iconic song and is often sang by myself when by myself - its just one of those songs you have to belt out once in your life.

TLC

When I mentioned earlier about having a bucket list for live acts, these ladies top it. I have been a massive fan for as long as I can remember. They never got the attention they deserved over here and that really upset me, of course everyone knows 'No Scrubs' but they were so much more than that. I could sit here and list every great song they did, but I would literally be listing every song on record. They never faltered. Devastated wasn't the word when I heard of Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopez's passing. It was probably the first time I had experienced a non relative death that affected me. However she left a legacy that can never be beaten, the original and the best. TLC have pledged to make one more album and I pray to all the saints that I get to go see them on tour- I need closure god damn it.


Haim

I have never felt that an album was written with me in mind more than I thought theirs was. Every song touched me in a very inappropriate way. I just fell as soon as I heard them. Then to see who was singing this music from the heavens made it even better. These beautiful sisters, who all played their own instruments, wrote their own songs and had a style every girl was envious of  had this amazing album. And I will be forever proud that us Brits made it number one!! Well deserved. I had the amazing honour of seeing these ladies live, thanks to my gorgeous friend who bought me tickets for my birthday. I wasn't expecting the emotional response that I had - when they played 'My Song 5' I didn't know what was happening, I was in a trance, yet very in the moment. That will stick with me for a while.

Danity Kane

Oh what these girls could have been. Why couldn't they put their differences away for the sake of the music. They were put together on Diddy's MTV show 'Making the Band', they recorded two number one albums (a record they set for american girl bands), released great r'n'b/pop singles and could put on a hell of a show. Their vocals were unmatched at the time. Unfortunately they just didn't get on, whether it be with their management, with Diddy or even with each other. They were going to make a comeback this year, but apparently they couldn't even sit in a recording studio without one of them clocking the other around the back of the head. We will always have what they released but I will always want more.

Fifth Harmony

These ladies have filled the hole left by The Saturdays for me. They are pop perfection. Every song they have released I have had a solo bop to. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the music of these talented women. They were formed on The X Factor US and have become the stand out stars of the show - and they didn't even win, go figure. This is just the beginning for them and I see big things. They are five normal lasses given a chance by the big guy Simon Cowell. Camilla's voice alone is one for the books, so special and unique. Listen to 'Bo$$' and lie to me that you didn't shimmy that body. 

Notable Mentions
En Vogue
The Supremes
SWV
Wilson Phillips
The Go Gos
Girls Generation
Wonder Girls
Girlicious
t.A.T.u
No Angels
Pointer Sisters
B*Witched
The Cheetah Girls
GRL
The Runaways
Those Dancing Days

No comments:

Post a Comment