Monday 20 April 2015

My American Country Music Awards 2015


Last night was the big 50th Annual American Country Music Awards! That's right it was the big 5-0. The Kings and Queens of country put on their sunday best and hot footed it to the AT&T Stadium in Texas. It was a night of amazing performances, shocking guests and award after award after award. Speaking of awards I of course have an opinion, some people should have won and some were just damn right snubbed. So I have picked my winners, and if any of the losers see this and have won in this list - well done, you freaking deserved it.

ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
- Jason Aldean
- Garth Brooks
- Luke Bryan
- Miranda Lambert
- Florida Georgia

Luke Bryan won on the night, and I totally understand as he does entertain the masses. He is country's darling right now and can't seem to do much wrong. However I feel Miranda Lambert was robbed. Her album (Platinum) is perfect, she always puts on a show and when it comes to entertaining I know who I would prefer to see live.

MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
- Jason Aldean
- Dierks Bentley
- Luke Bryan
- Eric Church
- Brad Paisley
- Blake Shelton

Jason Aldean took away the award last night and huge congrats to him. I thought Blake Shelton might have won this award, he has much more mass appeal thanks in large parts to The Voice. I also think Hunter Hayes was snubbed, I absolutely loved his song 'Invisible', it was a refreshing change to hear a male country artist to song from the view of teenagers who are struggling.

SINGLE RECORD OF THE YEAR
- Kenny Chesney - American Kids
- Miranda Lambert - Automatic
- Florida Georgia Line - Dirt
- Dierks Bentley - Drunk On A Plane
- Lee Brice - I Don't Dance

Lee Brice won and I understand, it is a beautiful heartfelt song - some argue that it isn't country but I don't think that country has the same guidelines as it used to, and it is starting to have more influence from other genres and I applaud that. From this category I was championing Miranda, it is a lovely song and probably the only one I would listen to on repeat from this list. However there was major snubs for this category, Little Big Town 'Girl Crush', The Band Perry 'Gentle on my Mind' and Carrie Underwood 'Something in the Water' to name a few.

FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
- Brandy Clark
- Miranda Lambert
- Martina McBride
- Kacey Musgrave
- Carrie Underwood

Miranda won this one and I completely agree, she is the reigning Queen after all. Her album exploded and she never falters. I would have liked Carrie to have won aswell as she has the vocal chops that not many have ever had. I would have liked a few more women get a nod this year like Jennifer Nettles, Kira Isabella and Ashley Monroe.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
- Jason Aldean - Old Boots, New Dirt
- Little Big Town - Pain Killer
- Miranda Lambert - Platinum
- Dierks Bentley - Riser
- Eric Church - The Outsiders

Miranda won again and rightly so, this album is (I've said it before and I will say it again) country perfection. I probably am not the one to judge this category as I haven't even heard the other albums on the list, but that might speak volumes in itself - because I don't intend to either, nothing is pulling me to them. Except one. I really need to hear Little Big Town's latest record, really loving what they have done in the last couple of years.

VOCAL GROUP OF THE YEAR
- Lady Antebellum
- Little Big Town
- Rascal Flatts
- The Band Perry
- Zac Brown Band

Little Big Town won this one and I was happy with that. I actually wish this could have been broken and thrown to a few people Cady Heron style. Lady Antebellum and The Band Perry also could have deservedly won this award. I guess their Grammy's will just have to keep them company instead.

SONG OF THE YEAR
- Kenny Chesney - American Kids
- Miranda Lambert - Automatic
- Luke Bryan - Drink A Beer
- Kacey Musgraves - Follow Your Arrow
- Eric Church - Give Me Back My Hometown
- Dierks Bentley - I Hold On

Once again I do not 100% understand the difference between song of the year and single record of the year, and even more confusingly they had different winners. This time Miranda took the prize. Yay. She is exactly who I would have picked from the list, but I would have easily been as happy if Kacey took the prize. Again there was a lot of snubs but I understand they had to whittle it down to this six.

VOCAL DUO OF THE YEAR
- Brothers Osborne
- Dan + Shay
- Florida Georgia Line
- Maddie & Tae
- The Swon Brothers

Florida Georgia Line won this one. I would have liked Maddie and Tae to win. They made a bold choice this year and released a song that kind of attacks the sexism in country music so for them to win would have been a great big statement from the academy.

VIDEO OF THE YEAR
- Kenny Chesney - American Kids
- Keith Urban - Cop Car
- Dierks Bentley - Drunk On A Plane
- Glen Campbell - I'm Not Gonna Miss You
- Miranda Lambert & Carrie Underwood - Somethin' Bad

Dierks Bentley took home the gold last night, its a cute video but I didn't feel like it was award worthy. For me there was two other worthy winners and for very different reasons. Glen Campbell's video never fails to choke me up. It's basically clips of Glen's life as he suffers with alzheimer's. Miranda and Carrie's video was this high budget, balls to the wall video showing them as two criminals stealing from the bank and back alley poker tournaments, before looking damn good walking on to their private plane. They never looked better.

VOCAL EVENT OF THE YEAR
- Lonely Tonight - Blake Shelton featuring Ashley Monroe
- Meanwhile Back At Mama's - Tim McGraw featuring Faith Hill
- Somethin' Bad - Miranda Lambert & Carrie Underwood
- The South - The Cadillac Three featuring Florida Georgia Line, Dierks Bentley, & Mike Eli
- This Is How We Roll - Florida Georgia Line featuring Luke Bryan

Florida Georgia Line and Luke Bryan took the prize this year. Carrie and Miranda were extremely snubbed. They tear the roof off the place whenever they perform this song, it has much more mass appeal and everyone loves a foot stomping good time. The idea behind this song was an event all on its own, get two of the biggest voices in country music together, make a flawless video and a perfect song - genius.

So those were my choices and I may have seem a tad biased, but I am not going to apologise - Miranda Lambert is God's gift to country music. Her performance on the night cemented that fact. Other highlights for me were Christina Aguilera (yep, she was there), Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift's Mum and Taylor probably receiving her final ever country award. My ultimate highlight was Little Big Town's performance. It was a simple performance, no bells or whistles. I was so happy they decided to play this song and another one of their hits. They sang 'Girl Crush' and if you know much about country music than you know the controversy around this song. It has been banned by a country radio station for "promoting the gay agenda." First of all this is ridiculous, if they even listened to the song once they would know it was about been jealous of a woman because she has the man she wants! Secondly, I am a gay man -  WE HAVE NO AGENDA!

No comments:

Post a Comment