Tuesday 6 August 2013

I Need A Doctor


So pretty big news in the Whovian (a name us Doctor Who fans have been christened) world, a new Doctor has been announced. Step forward Peter Capaldi. At first I have to be honest that I was a bit unsure when I saw him. I was expecting a young hottie with a geeky edge to him. Then I gave it some thought, he could be brilliant. It will be a whole new aspect of a Doctor we have never had. As a romantic I have always hoped a Doctor and a companion would get it on - now I can get over that and enjoy different sides to the show.

My favourite aspects of the Doctor Who universe is the companions. I love a strong female role in any TV show. Everytime we have a new one, I have a new favourite companion. Clara is just outstanding; her backstory still confuses me to this day and I don't think I will ever have the confidence to tell anyone what her story is. However, I love the banter, attitude and cuteness she brings. She is different to any companion in my opinion - she doesn't look in awe to the Doctor, instead she is not afraid to put him in his place and when it comes to it she will save herself and not rely on the Doctor.

When people hear about 'Doctor Who' I am sure they look down on it as some geeky sci-fi show and these people I look upon with shame. Yes, it is about time travel, good vs evil and a healthy dose of intelligent banter - but it is so much more about it. I don't think a show has cut me up so much since 'Grey's Anatomy'. For a show about an alien it has a huge human aspect and a lot of heart. There is so much emotion involved that I find myself crying (Rose being taken into another dimension and Donna losing her memory to name a couple of times).

I am gutted Matt Smith has decided to give the sonic screwdriver back and hang up his bow tie. He was an amazing Doctor and will forever be one to beat in my opinion. I also said this about Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant so I know I am in good hands when it comes to casting changes. I can't wait for the 50th anniversary and I am so excited to see the new Doctor in action. I especially can't wait for Clara's reaction to Peter's Doctor. Hurry up November 23rd!!

P.S It seriously annoys me when people call him Doctor Who - its not his name! Its a question!

No comments:

Post a Comment