Thursday 29 August 2013

The VMA's Restyled By Me


To say the least I was disappointed by the fashion on the red carpet at this years MTV VMA's. It was boring or weird. There was no happy middle ground. If I had to pick some of the best dressed it would be Katy Perry, Ciara and Ellie Goulding. I respected Rita Ora's choice because she chose to go with a bang - nothing says bang like a 20 foot feathered train. 


When it comes to some of these events there are certain people we look out for; these are the fashionable, edgy, cool, classy girls who pull something out of the bag. They may not shock us but they let us know that they are fashion aware and know how to dress. I was hugely disappointed with Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Miley Cyrus.


Miley Cyrus
What she wore - Dolce and Gabanna
What I would have put her in - Chanel Fall Couture 2013

She is trying too hard here to bring the 90's trend back. It's over the top whilst still being simple. I have a thing against leggings - don't like them and I never will. Pairing them up with oversized gems just angers me. Her hair looks stupid and I am a huge supporter of her new shorter do - but what the hell are those small buns all about? They only looked good on Scary Spice.
I put her in a silver dress from Chanel. I picked this because it keeps her looking youthful aswell as having a bit of a 90's throwback with the smaller skirt over the longer skirt. The length would be perfect on her and allow her to play with footwear - I would consider a shocking pink platform pump. Her shorter hair would also go flawlessly with this look, but instead of buns I would scrape it all back and add some volume on top.

Selena Gomez
What she wore - Atelier Versace
What I would have put her in -  Dior Fall Couture 2013

Lets all remember she is only 21. These are the perfect years to have fun and experiment fashion wise. It looks like she pulled this out of an ageing american soap-star's closet. It's tacky even for a 40 year old woman. I appreciate the playfulness of it with the revealing of undergarments, but there is no shape to it; where is her waist? It's so blah that even a revealed breast doesn't help it. Also full length sleeves should only be worn by women ashamed of their upper arms - I doubt she has this problem.
I put her in this cute Dior dress. The colour is a much more fun and a youthful blue than the one she chose. It's a bit risqué with the slit down the front of the middle of the dress, but it doesn't cross the line into trashy. The length is great for her as she doesn't have the longest of legs, so having it end above the knee will definitely create length. I am also in love with the material manipulation which gives the dress a seamless appearance.

Lady Gaga
What she wore -  Prabal Gurung
What I would have put her in - Giambattista Valli Spring Couture 2013

This dress she chose was so lacklustre, there is nothing special about it and the material is way too shiny that all I see is trash bags. Its like an unconventional materials challenge on 'Project Runway' gone wrong. It looks badly made and the bow is just sad. For a woman who loves to push boundaries she just looks boring.
The dress I chose isn't that different to her choice. Its black, has a fishnet material and isn't too out there. I feel my choice just speaks better for Gaga. Its fun and unconventional whilst being fashionable and edgy. Also I deliberately chose to give her blonde/white hair as it just stands out more and completes the look - she doesn't look so much like Helena Bonham Carter's weird little sister anymore.

Taylor Swift
What she wore - Hervé Léger by Max Azria
What I would have put her in - Ellie Saab Fall Couture 2013

One word for the dress she chose was 'blah' - my god it is so boring, We all know Taylor is loaded so she could have bought any dress she wanted. In recent years she has made some great choices (see the Grammy's this year) but what happened? She has gone for a column dress which are normally reserved for a shorter gal as they give length - Taylor does not need added height. It completely leaves her shapeless and it is so boring. Paired with the hair she looks 20 years older easily - never mind being 22 try 42.
The dress I chose isn't out there because at the end of the day she needs to be comfortable. I chose this emerald green Ellie Saab dress as I think it is very her (especially in the direction she should be going in). Its classy with an added something. The added something is a bit of sparkle but not in a trashy way. The sheerness will keep the youthfulness whilst the 3/4 length sleeve and full length keeps it respectable. This dress has a dropped back so we will see a gorgeous back and profile.

Rihanna
What she wore - Muscle shirt with a picture of MC Lyte and skinny cropped jeans.
What I would have put her in - Bouchra Jarrar Fall Couture 2013

I'm stuck with this one; on one hand I applaud her for choosing to keep it cool and comfortable, on the other hand I really think she could have at least tried. She was obviously in a mood where she didn't give a shit and just came to watch the show, collect her cheque and get gone. She did however provide the best entertainment from the show with her amazing unimpressed expressions.
To keep with her easy laid back style I chose this complete look from Bouchra Jarrar. I decided to keep her in trousers as she has legs for days so she always look amazing in them, I chose a cropped top because she has the abs I would kill for and then a baggy layer on top to keep the street look she has perfected. However from this look I would get rid of the belt - its overkill.

P.S excuse the shocking photoshop-ing, its late and I really wanted to do this post.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu với dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa quốc tế, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi đài loan và dịch vụ gửi hàng đi canada uy tín, giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete