Wednesday 21 August 2013

I'm With The Band

I am going to lose some major man points (not that I had a whole lot to begin with) but I feel like it is time to make this statement. I love Girl Bands. I own a bunch of their albums, I watch all of their music videos and I pretty much know most the words to all the songs (including some of the dance moves, something I am not 100% proud of).

I am not sure if it is a feminist portion of my brain that loves them so much, but I support them so much. I want to see a girl group do well. When they get a number 1 I do feel proud. For example when The Saturdays got their first number 1 I told people as if it was my own personal news, I wanted/needed people to know. When a girl group enters a talent competition I instantly want them to win (can you imagine my happiness when Little Mix won 'The X Factor'!) Some of my favourite concerts I have ever been to were girl bands (Spice Girls and Destiny's Child in particular).

I often feel alone in my love for girl bands. They aren't a popular thing to admit you like. I will get the occasional 'oh yeah, I liked that one song' but never 'I love their album!'. Girl bands come and go so quickly because it so hard for them to get a fanbase. Younger girls who these bands are marketed for only want to fully support the new hit boy band and then younger boys will never admit to liking them for fear of ridicule. Older folk won't even give them the time of day, instead casting them off as girls being used for their appearance and having no talent.

So as a favour from me to you I thought I would create a little playlist of girl band songs for you to fall in love with and join my crusade to get them the respect they deserve. So here goes -

Spice Girls - Let Love Lead The Way
Destiny's Child - Through With Love
Sugababes - Ugly
Little Mix - Cannonball
Girls Aloud - Sexy! No No No ...
2NE1 - Lonely
Stooshe - Black Heart
The Saturdays - Fall
Atomic Kitten - Someone Like Me
En Vogue - Free Your Mind
All Saints - Pure Shores
TLC - Dear Lie
The Pussycat Dolls - I Hate This Part
B*Witched - Blame It On The Weatherman
Honeyz - Won't Take It Lying Down
Eternal - I Wanna Be The Only One
Cleopatra - Touch Of Love

YouTube them, Spotify them and bask in the girl group goodness. These are probably the more slower songs by these bands but they are some of my favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment