Sunday 7 July 2013

Death Becomes Her


I love horror movies. I really really do. I'm not 100% sure I have let people know this about me yet. My name is Craig and I am addicted to horror movies. The main reason is the death scenes. Its hard not to sound morbid, but I really enjoy them. I like the gore, the violence, the fighting, everything. Ironically I can't watch real life hospital shows - I'll watch a fake stabbing but I don't want to see a real one. The more interesting the death the better for me. I thought I would share 5 death scenes that really got my attention.

Psycho
Norman kills Marion
This is the death scene other death scenes are often compared to. For its time it was gory as hell. Blood was rarely seen in film, never mind a naked woman in a shower. The thing with this scene is that you don't see anything. You don't see the knife cut the skin and you don't see any body parts that should be kept private. Really you are as grossed out as much as your imagination will allow you. Shocking thing about this scene is that it was almost cut - because they did not allow a toilet to be shown on film back in the day, nothing to do with the brutal murder.

Scream
Ghostface kills Tatum
Out of the 40 odd death scenes in the franchise this will no doubt be one that people remember. Tatum first of all doesn't even believe Ghostface is Ghostface, then he cuts her arm and she then quickly realises. So she makes her escape - the only way out that she can find is the doggy door. So off she goes - obviously not the brightest crayon in the box, she is not the size of a dog. She of course gets stuck, Ghostface decides to lift the door, death quickly follows. This was a very imaginative way to kill someone and I am sure started out as some sick joke in a production meeting.

American Psycho
Patrick kills the prostitute
This movie is brilliant. A great portrayal of someone who just snaps, and no one even notices. There are quite a few great scenes but for me one sticks out. The prostitute manages to escape the evil grasp of Patrick Bateman, and runs away and down some stairs. I don't know if we were supposed to believe it to be some great mathematical skill or just plain luck, but Patrick drops a chainsaw down the stairwell and it meets the prostitute at the bottom. Amazing death scene.

Final Destination
Death kills Ashley and Ashlyn
Not the best film from the franchise but definitely the best death scene - as in it has stuck with me ever since. Basically they get killed by the sunbeds. It scares me because I have a small phobia of small confined places, so to imagine being trapped in one whilst it slowly burns your skin is a hell I don't want to experience. (I once did go to a sunbed place but used the standing one - I didn't tan but I was itchy for a week after, I think I'm pale for life) This scene is brilliant, its so horrible to watch and you know what is going to happen but you can't not watch. I wouldn't be surprised if some tanning salons lost some business for a while after that.

Saw
All the deaths
Saw is the King of death scenes. They have every type imaginable. You got a phobia, they will show you how it can kill you. Its hard to pick one or even a top 10, I tried and I just kept remembering more and more. The deaths get more and more extreme as the movies go on. The worst ones for me are ones that show skin being stretched, either by hooks or being glued to a car seat. Also watching people dismember themselves gets me feeling a bit weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment