Thursday 4 July 2013

The U, S of A


So today is kind of an awkward day for us Brits as American's are celebrating their independence from us. Today across those 50 states there are BBQs, fireworks and lots of partying. It is a day American's set aside and celebrate them. We don't have anything close to this in Britain - we barely even celebrate the day of our Patron Saint (choosing to toast Ireland's St. Patrick's Day more).

I love America. I have often been the butt of jokes and told that I should just be American. I don't mind that thought at all. America has produced and created some of my favourite things in the world. Some of my favourite people are American - I am not shy in confessing my admiration for the likes of Beyonce, Taylor Swift and Sandra Bullock (plus many many more).

America is probably my main problem aswell. They invented my number 1 addiction - Coca Cola. I can tell you my Doctor is not too happy about that. I love it - people start their day with a coffee, I start my day with a can of coke. As a diabetic it probably isn't the best choice to make, but I can't stop it. I need help. My favourite alcoholic beverage is also American - the beautiful Jack Daniels. Put it with coke and you have my dream drink; it will be the drink I will request at my last supper.

As a HUGE fan of television and film I again have a lot to thank the American's for. Us Brits can not make a horror movie that will ever be in the same league as an American - there I said it, I'm not proud that I said it but it needed saying. TV is also bigger in America - everything is brighter and more dramatic. In England we have perfected the gritty, lower class, back streets stories for TV - but these aren't to everyone's taste. Especially not mine, I live in the lower class, gritty back streets, all I have to do is look out the window for that experience, TV should be an escape not a mirror on your own reality.

America also supplied me with the best holiday I have ever had. Around 6 years ago I went to the Big Apple, New York. I loved it and I didn't want to leave. Okay I was happy to leave at the time. The heat was unbearable, so bad they turned the lights off on Times Square. I would love to go back, and I am 100% sure I will go back - just maybe not in August, a cooler month will be a smarter idea.

So to wrap this up, I don't want people to get me wrong - I am 100% proud to be British, I love our quirkiness, our fashion and (unashamedly) I love the Royal Family. England has given me everything I have. As a Diabetic I will always be thankful to the NHS, as a student I will always be thankful to Student Finance and as TV lover I will always be thankful for the BBC (Doctor Who for the win).

No comments:

Post a Comment