Tuesday 9 July 2013

Ellie Goulding's Halcyon - My Review


The plan was to reveal my Top 10 Most Played on my iTunes. There were two major flaws to this plan; 
1. I mostly use Spotify, so the numbers aren't correct anymore
2. When I did look at my Top 10 Most Played Ellie Goulding's Halycon had 8 songs on it.
So, the plan has changed, what I am going to do now is talk about one of my favourite albums of all time. I will talk a little bit about each song. I will warn you now, I am in no way musical expert so you will have to go with me when I make up words for effects.

1. Don't Stay A Word
A great start to the album, they way it builds up really drags you in to the album. 
Favourite lyric 'I'm more alive I've ever been, So now I give you all my sins, I've chosen you, I've chosen you, But don't say a word'

2. My Blood 
A very sad song about her emotions after a break up. Beautifully done and her voice is flawless
Favourite Lyric 'And I'm thrown in the gunfire of empty bullets. And my blood is all I see. As you steal my soul from me'

3. Anything Could Happen
The lead single from the album. The 'I know it's gonna be' bit just floored me. Her voice ...
Favourite Lyric 'I'll give you everything you need But I don't think I need you'

4. Only You
Her voice is the instrument in the background. A sad song about being trapped in a relationship - I think. Love the high pitched singing in the background.
Favourite Lyric 'Only you can be the aching in my heart. My enemy, the only animal I couldn't fight'

5. Halcyon
The album's title track (still not 100% sure how to pronounce it). Another sad song about being trapped in a dead relationship. Some heartbreaking lyrics.
Favourite Lyric 'When it's just us. You show me what it feels like to be lonely. You show me what it feels like to be lost'

6. Figure 8
A song about breaking up with someone but still being in love with them. There's definitely a theme to this album. Once again her voice slays me.
Favourite Lyric 'Still not too old to die young, But lovers hold on to everything, And lovers hold on to anything'

7. Joy
A song about accepting a relationship is over. Beautiful and haunting. One of my favourites from the album.
Favourite Lyric 'I've figured out that joy is not in your arms. I know I'll always ache with an empty heart. I think it's time to run cause I'm seeing stars. I'm seeing stars watch me fall apart'

8. Hanging on
Basically about hanging on to a lost love. Shows off how beautifully she can get her vocal range.
Favourite Lyric 'Touch me and then turn away. And put your hands into the flame. Tell me if you feel this pain. Cause I don't want to be a ball and chain'

9. Explosions
I fell in love with this song instantly. The opera element at the beginning is majestic, coupled with her voice and you have one stunning track.
Favourite Lyric 'Cause it's simple darling, I gave you a warning. Now everything you own is falling from the sky in pieces. So watch them fall with you, in slow motion. I pray that you will find peace of mind. And I'll find you another time. I'll love you, another time'

10. I Know You Care
A haunting, simple and stunning ballad. A song about knowing someone is still there, even if they aren't aren't with you.
Favourite Lyric 'Cause this is how things ought to have been. And I know the worst of it wasn't all that it seemed. Why can't I dream'

11. Atlantis
Once again showcasing her high vocal range. A song (I think) about meeting someone knew after a bad relationship, afraid to love again.
Favourite Lyric 'I'm exhausted with loving. No fight in me- I'm defeated. I know I'm fooled, I can't help it. You make my heart so helpless'

12. Dead In The Water
Another haunting song and absolutely one of my favourites. I love how there is barely any instruments in the beginning. A song about being lost after a relationship has ended.
Favourite Lyric 'I'm there in the water. Still looking for ya. I'm there in the water. Can't you see, can't you see?'

13. I Need Your Love (w/ Calvin Harris)
One of the more up tempo songs. A song about still craving your ex. If this was written with someone in mind then she is being extremely honest and open.
Favorite Lyric 'And I feel so helpless here. Watch my eyes are filled with fear. Tell me do you feel the same.Hold me in your arms again'

14. Hanging On (Full length version with Tinie Tempah)
I am not usually a fan of Tinie's work but I absolutely love his verse on this.
Favourite Lyric 'She broke my heart, I took some Gaviscon'

15. In My City
A song about finding confidence and moving on. Quite a positive song, considering the rest of the album.
Favourite Lyric 'Shoulders ache for wanted wings. My city shakes the fear in me'

16. Ritual
I am not entirely sure what this song is about. My first thought was sex, but that could be my crude imagination. Still, a great song.
Favourite Lyric 'From highway seas and thunder skies. We see our fate, you hear our cries'

17. Without your love
This song definitely seems like a 'fuck you' to her ex. She does say 'Without your love I'm getting somewhere' 33 times
Favourite Lyric  'Without your love I'm getting somewhere'

So, overall I love this album. Its dark and depressing in places, but if you know then you know thats what I like. I have easily listened to this album 50 times and I never get bored of it. Perfect for train journeys, also bath time which I found out. 

I cannot wait for the re-release which is rumoured to have 7 new songs on it. I have already heard 2 of them and I instantly loved them.

No comments:

Post a Comment