Sunday 28 July 2013

Girl Talk


This could be me revealing a little something that I should probably keep to myself. It truly reveals the fact that I was born a middle aged woman. So here goes. I love American Talk Shows. I can watch them for hours. I will watch them on TV. I will watch them on the computer. I will even watch them on my phone. Its hard to explain what it is about them but I will have a go.

You may have noticed that I made a point about them being American - this was on purpose. England just cannot do the same, we have tried and we have failed. 'The View' got big in America so we created 'Loose Women' - by no stretch of the imagination is it as good. I get bored with 'Loose Women', I have yet to get bored of 'The View'. Even when they talk about politics they have my attention. I think it must be because of the way American's show passion. Don't get me wrong us Brit's can show passion, we will acknowledge it and move on - our American friends will go bat-shit-crazy about something until everyone has heard; and I love it.

There are many types of moments that I love in these talk shows. I love the drama - watch Rosie O'Donnell vs. Elizabeth Hasslebeck on YouTube (amazing). These women are not afraid to say what they feel no matter how controversial. On 'The Real' they will often call white people 'vanilla' and Asian people 'yellow' - can you imagine if that happened in England. The show would be off the air, people would call for the hosts resignation and written apologies and they would appear teary eyed in the middle pages of The Sun being all regretful and shiz. Other moments are the touching moments. The Queen, Ellen, has made me cry any more times than I think anyone else has in my life. She tells stories of people from anywhere in the country if she feels they need to be told. I have literally watched every Ellen Degeneres YouTube clip in existence - I have laughed and cried - often catching the attention of others.

So for my advise (which I seem to be increasingly comfortable doing) to England is to do your research. Watch 'The Ellen Degeneres Show', 'The Talk', 'The View', 'The Real' and 'Oprah'. Take notes. Take your time in picking a cast (don't go for the new hot reality stars!). Get a good set. Get some good stories. Get some amazing prizes. Get some RELEVANT guests, I can't stress the word 'relevant' anymore but most importantly give them a chance; if the show doesn't get record viewers in the first week just give it time.

I have even helped with the casting choice (these were off the top of my head - no doubt I will wake up in a cold sweat with more choices).

No comments:

Post a Comment