Wednesday 19 June 2013

Funny People


'A situation comedy, often shortened to sitcom, is a genre of comedy that features characters sharing the same common environment, such as a home or workplace, with often humorous dialogue. Such programs originated in radio, but today, sitcoms are found mostly on television as one of its dominant narrative forms.'

After reality TV the sitcom is my favourite genre of television. It is 22 minutes of entertainment that doesn't require thinking and you can become a zombie and just watch and get some giggles. Here is a list of my favourite sitcoms

Friends
This is the ultimate sitcom in my eyes. It was perfect. They gave us an amazing 10 years of comedy. The premise of the show was simple - 6 friends. There are heart-warming moments and hysterical moments. 
Favourite Character - Phoebe

Will and Grace
I watch this show everyday. I put it on every night to go to sleep to. Not because it is boring but because it is comforting in a weird way. When this TV show was aired it was quite shocking - a show with a lead character who was gay. I don't know if its just me but I didn't notice. It wasn't even an issue for me. 
Favourite Character - Karen

Modern Family
This show is relatively new to me. I watched the pilot and it didn't grab my attention so I ignored it for a while (my TV rota is quite full). One day I decided to watch it, and I watched the first 2 seasons with in a week. I LOVE IT. Call me a wuss I don't care; I love a show that makes me cry and this has on multiple occasions. Not because it is sad but it can be so heart-warming at times that it just gets me. For example when Cam and Mitch were told they weren't going to get the baby boy, they were lying on the ground and I was in a flood of tears.
Favourite Character - Cam or Gloria

The Big Bang Theory
This was another show that I didn't catch on to very quickly, but once again I watched a lot in a row and became addicted - went out and bought all the available seasons on DVD. It can be considered quite a simple comedy as the idea is geeks vs. life. I think it is so much deeper than that. My favourite moments are between Sheldon and Penny. It is a friendship that shouldn't exist but I am so thankful that it does. The episode where Penny falls in the shower and only Sheldon is available to help is one my favourite episodes of any show. Later through the series they introduced more female characters and these were genius ideas.
Favourite Character - Amy

Parks and Recreation
Amy Poehler is everything! She was always one of my favourite cast mates on Saturday Night Live. Now she has her own show and it is about time! I feel she was always in Tina Fey's shadow and now she is in the spotlight. To explain the show doesn't sell it at all. It is a sitcom based in a Parks and Recreation department in middle town America. You have to watch it to understand. It is brilliant! So funny! So honest! The characters are amazing whether it be sarcastic, dark April or put-upon, loser Ron.
Favourite Character - Leslie

The Girls
Apparently there is a huge misconception that girls aren't funny - something I have never understood and believed (Golden Girls anybody?) In the last few years the women of comedy have certainly shut up their critics. Step forward Zooey Deschannel, Mindy Kaling, Beth Behrs and Kat Dennings - the stars of 3 of my favourite comedies; New Girl, 2 Broke Girls and The Mindy Project. They are witty, smart and have many levels. And most of all they are awkward - I enjoy awkward TV shows. Long live the female lead comedies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment