Friday 21 June 2013

You wanna be on top?

For anyone that lives under a rock America's Next Top Model is basically a modelling competition; and it is awesome. As a fan of fashion the photoshoots are one of my favourite parts. Some are simple and some are ridiculous; and I mean ridiculous in the best way. Tyra Banks has some weird ideas in her head. After 19 seasons and 241 episodes you have to forgive her for having to think outside the box and relate the photoshoot to something in fashion.

The 20th cycle starts this August and I am very excited for it. Once again she has changed the rules; we have had College Edition, Petite Edition, Brits Vs. Yanks, Allstars and now Boys Vs. Girls. Finally men can compete. It has taken a while, and I have to say I am a little mad because I feel too old to compete (obviously the only reason I didn't apply).

I haven't always agreed with the choices of the judges and all the winners were not approved by me. The decision that angered me the most was Allison Harvard. First of she should have won her season, then she was invited back for the Allstars cycle (yay!), and once again she came second! SECOND! I am not saying she was the best model of all the cycles, but she was different, she was unique and goddamnit she deserved to win.

I feel the show is losing its momentum a little bit and its become very formulaic, however I am not angry about this. Why fix something that isn't broken? Tyra is getting more beautiful with age, Kelly Cutrone is still on TV and we get to see more and more bitch fights. One suggestion I would give is that the country they visit half way through, you should revisit some places and stop trying to trick us into believing there is a fashion capitol in every country - there simply isn't (Cycle 17 - Crete! Seriously?).

I have watched a lot of other countries version of Top Model but America's will always be the best because it has something that they will never have - the amazing Tyra Banks.

No comments:

Post a Comment