Tuesday 25 June 2013

Childhood Distractions


I really miss the old children's television that would either fill my Saturday mornings or my hours after homework. Nickelodeon and Disney were my first port of call. Here is a quick list of my fave shows:

Lizzie McGuire
This show first introduced me to my major childhood crush of Hilary Duff. It was a simple show that followed a girl through her everyday life - with the help of her cartoon self telling us exactly what she was thinking.

That's So Raven
To me this was one of the funniest shows I have ever watched - I still watch re-runs now when I can. Raven was a psychic, hilarity ensued as she dealt with her abilities and trying to be a teenager.

Sister Sister
I loved this show and watched it religiously. It was based on twins that found each other 16 years after been adopted in to different families. My favourite character was Tia's mum Lisa - she bought the crazy to the show.

Sabrina The Teenage Witch
Another amazing show from Nickelodeon. Basically if you couldn't guess from the shows title, Sabrina was a witch. The main premise for the first couple of seasons was dealing with the power and being a teenager whilst also having to find the 'family secret'. The secret was that every witch in the family had an evil twin - I could of told her that.

Clarissa Explains It All
This show was a bit old for me when I was watching it, however it didn't stop me. It was similar to Lizzie McGuire. The best thing about it was the fashion - if you ever need a reference for 90's fashion watch this show. Melissa Joan Hart was perfect.

Scooby Doo
If you don't know this TV show then you have walked around with your eyes closed for 34 years. It follows a group of teenagers and their dog - who seems to be blessed with the ability to talk, except he has a terrible speech impediment. They tried to recreate with a live action version, it wasn't as good but still worth a watch.

Rugrats
This was the cartoon of my generation. Following a group of babies and toddlers crawl through their daily life. My mind was blown when I was told it was slightly based upon Doctor Who. 

These shows were perfect distractions from my childhood. I feel bad for the kids of today as the main programs they get to see seem to be based upon children chasing fame. Either a singer, dancer or TV star. There are no Lizzie's, Clarissa's, Tia's or even a Tamera amongst the group.


No comments:

Post a Comment