Thursday 27 June 2013

It's a love story, baby just say yes


Love stories are beautiful. I like watching the build up and the fall out. I like every aspect of a love story. For me the best love stories have a lot of heartbreak. I get heavily invested in them and my heart goes out to the characters. So I decided to write about some of my favourite ones.

Romeo and Juliet
How could a list of love stories not include these two star crossed lovers? It is the ultimate story of tragic heartbreak. There have been a lot of interpretations of this story but my favourite will always be Leonardo Dicaprio and Clare Danes. The modern re-working was beautiful and my god that scene with the young boy singing in the choir - chills. I can't help but feel these two lovers were a tad dramatic, suicide wasn't the answer.

Bella and Edward
Most people look at this love story and scoff. I think it is beautiful. A vampire and a normal girl fall in love, it shouldn't be and it doesn't make sense. However I think it was told well and acted amazingly by Kristen and Rob. Through everything all they did was love each other and try their darnedest to work it out.

Carrie and Big
The middle aged woman inside of me always knew that these would get together in the end. They tried and tried, Big even got married to someone else - but in the end they only had eyes for eachother. My heart, like a million women's I am sure skipped a beat when Big ran to Paris to get his girl from that 70 year old ballerina. A couple who were meant to be.

Tom and Summer
500 days of Summer is one of my favourite films of all time. It is a wonderful tale of an entire relationship in 500 days (get the title now?) Zooey and Gordon are some of my favourite actors. The beauty of this film is that it instantly tells you it is not a love story but it is a story about love. I 100% get that. You want a film with a happy ending for the couple then don't watch this film. This film is realistic to the point of where it makes you feel awkward with how close to real life relationships it is.

Charlie and Sam
Perks Of Being a Wallflower is one of my favourite books and then turned into one of my favourite films. Charlie obviously had a huge crush on Sam. As both a reader and a viewer it was clear to see that these were not going to be a couple - not matter how much I wished they could work it out. They love each other and that is plain to see. Should it have developed past a friendship? I don't know, but I am happy they have each other in their lives (see what I mean when I say I get too invested).

Other notable love stories have to include Carl and Ellie (Up), Hermione and Ron (Harry Potter), Jack and Rose (Titanic) and Buffy and Angel (Buffy The Vampire Slayer).

No comments:

Post a Comment