Monday 24 June 2013

Girls Who Kick Ass



As I have previously mentioned, I love shows that have a strong female lead. As stories have gone for thousands of years the boy saves the girl. However in recent decades that story has disappeared and girls have come out kicking and fighting their way to the front. Here are my top five (well at least ones that have come to mind as I type)


5th Place - Phoebe Halliwell (Charmed)
Charmed was a great show, slightly ruined for me when my Dad told me the basic structure to an episode after only watching a couple. Basically 3 sisters inherited witchcraft and had to fight a multitude demons and such. Phoebe was always my favourite sister. She started out in the show as the childish firecracker, but who can blame her - she was given the lamest power. However she did not let this stop her and she learnt karate obviously and became the ass-kicker of the siblings.


4th Place - Clara Oswin Oswald (Doctor Who)
Relatively new to the sci-fi world. She is the assistant to the 11th Doctor, and so far she has not disappointed. She is probably the only assistant who is not in total awe of the Doctor, and instead she gives banter and attitude. Her back story still confuses me slightly and I may need to watch the last episode a few more times before I am confident enough to speak about it. Billie Piper's character was my favourite assistant but since Clara came along she has filled the void and then some.


3rd Place - Gwen Cooper (Torchwood)
I didn't give Torchwood the attention it deserved, then I saw it was on Netflix so I decided to watch them all in the space of two weeks. Gwen is the star for me, some may argue Jack is but I disagree. She has a don't-give-a-shit-but-actually-cares-the-most attitude. She is one person I would want in my corner. I lover sarcasm, her straight talking and her welsh pride. I hope we see more of Gwen.


2nd Place - Max Guevara X5-452 (Dark Angel)
I am probably the only person I know who watched this show. It was so far ahead of its time and it got lost amongst the likes of Buffy, Charmed and Angel. It should have been huge, the production value was amazing and it was created by the one and only James Cameron. Max was a genetically modified soldier who escaped the evil grasp of her creators, we meet her where she is a bike messenger trying to live in a post apocalyptic Seattle. With her creators still on her tail she has since become a cat burglar and now must try and bring down the evil organisation.


1st Place - Buffy Summers (Buffy, The Vampire Slayer)
Who else would be first? She is everything. She kicks ass, has a witty mouth and hair that just won't quit. Her sarcasm and expert fighting skills made her one of a kind. She is the Queen of TV in my eyes and there will be no one else written to even come close to the high standard she set. She has made me laugh, made me cry and made me nervous. If she isn't kicking ass then she is trying to have a normal life - often failing. The last episode of the series created thousands of more slayers, but there will only ever be one in my eyes.

x

1 comment:

  1. Dark angel Was good! Buffy needs to come back!!!!!

    ReplyDelete