Sunday 23 June 2013

Just a Country Boy


I love country music. There I said it. I am not ashamed. In England the country fan is hard to find, well at least one that is willing to admit it. Unfortunately country music is not considered 'cool'. I do not know why. When I tell people that I like country its as if I told them I like knitting little wool friends. 

The beauty I find in country music is that every song is like a story. There is an emotion that is pushed through that connects you to the song. Okay that might have been a bit deep for a description of a music genre, but I don't know how to describe it. I am a huge fan of depressing music and country is all over it like white on rice. There is a certain twang that country singers have and I love it and often try to copy, pretty sure I'm close to nailing it. 

Some of my favourite country songs are :
Miranda Lambert - Over You
Pistol Annies - Hell On Heels
Hunter Hayes - I Want Crazy
Lady Antebellum - Wanted You More
Carrie Underwood - Too many to mention (2 Black Cadillacs, Temporary Home, Before He Cheats)
Sugarland - Stay
Kellie Pickler - I Wonder
Kacey Musgraves - Blowing Smoke
The Band Perry - Better Dig Two
Dixie Chicks - Not Ready To Make Nice
Taylor Swift - Any song she has ever sang
Martina McBride - Concrete Angel (Prepare to sob)
Rascall Flatts - Stand, What Hurts the Most
Gretchen Wilson - Redneck Woman
Dolly Parton - 9 to 5, Coat of Many Colours
Fleetwood Mac - Songbird, Landslide

Give them a listen, I'm not saying its the definitive list but they are some of my favourites and some of the more current ones. If you are unfortunate to have the stereotype of country music listeners in your mind, I'll just let you know now - I don't own any cowboy boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment